Thursday, October 1, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for October 1st

Hello Dear Readers,

No show last night I had a long band practice. 8 PM to Midnight. Crazy. But I will not be at band practice until midnight tonight. But actually I do need to work healla early in the morning. So I don't know. I have done worse to myself. Anyway, here is what is playing tonight.

Thursday, October 1st

Crystal Ballroom is having something called Red Bull Sound Clash. Basically Viva Voce and The Builders & The Butches start and finish each others songs. Bukue One and Ohmega Watts do the same all on opposite stages. Sound crazy? Yes it does. The thing only costs $10.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Sian Alice Group (London), Inside Voices, and Morning Teleportation. I think Inside Voices is so good. Very hypnotic and also rock at the same time. Morning Teleportation is just "f"ing nuts. There songs change very rapidly very often. But they are tight too. Its madness. The show is $10 starts at 9 PM.

Rotture is having a show is having a show with The Blakes, Nuclear Aminals, and The Monarques. I have heard good things about Nuclear Aminals. The Monarques play straight up good power pop music. I saw their first show ever a few months back and they said that they were going to add two female singers. According to their myspace page they have. I am sure it will sound awesome. The show is $8-10 PM.

Berbati's is having a show with The Shaky Hands, Panther, Joe Von Appen, and DJ Magic Beans. A double CD release show is what this show is. The Shaky Hands have a new record out which I have not heard, but based on their last two albums it will awesome (and jangley?). Panther also will debut his new record. They are constantly changing their sound. So far, this practice has made them contantly getting better. So I bet their new record is good. The show is $10-12 and starts 8 PM.

Dunes is having a show Pikara, Moment in Static and Dead Cinema. I have not seen Pikara yet, but I have their album and it is very pretty. So pretty music fans, check this one out. The show is FREE? and starts at 7:30 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Pony Village, AAN. I love me some AAN. I missed him last night. Some of you may have as well. This is our chance to make things right (seeing AAN is always the right thing to do). Plus I have been meaning to catch Pony Village since forever. And I thought that Yeltsin was no longer a band. They must have come back from the dead for this show. Sweet. Zombie band. The show is $5 and starts at 8 PM.

So if you see me at any of these shows, please say "Hi". And then ask me, "Why are you at a show when you know you have to work at 7 in the morning?". To which I will probably not have a logical answer.

-Ben


Pikara will play tonight at Dunes. Isn't it cool when she goes nuts on violin?

No comments: