Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, October 25th

Hello Dear Readers,

Did you guys notice that other people started posting on the blog? Pretty cool, right? Anyway, I ended up staying in last night. I wanted to get my rest because there are some good shows happening tonight. More on that now:

Sunday, October 25th

I am playing at Valentine's on Sunday for FREE with the new line up of Meyercord which includes Perry Pfister (of Black Heart Moon) on stand up bass, glockenspiel and vocals and Holland Andrews (of Like a Villian) on vocals, clarinet and glockenspiel. Also the wonderful Lindsay Clark who just moved from Nevada City will be playing a set. Hearing that she is from Nevada City conjured up the folk sounds of Alela Diane and Joanna Newsome in my head. And I am happy to report she is in the same ballpark. Mike Elias is the guy with the huge mustache that usually asks to see your id when you enter Valentine's tonight you can hear his music. I have only seen him a couple times, when his good friend Kele Goodwin played, but I remember liking what I heard. Folk music forever! The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Doug Fir is having Le Loup (D.C.)and Nurses play. This is totally the show I would be at if I were not playing tonight. Seriously I love both of these bands. Nurses play very infectious off kilter pop music that incorporates the very tasteful and almost tribal drumming and harmonies and a lot of looping and even more reverb. The guys of this band are great and seem to love making their music, assuming their herky-jerky dancing is an indication that they are enjoying themselves. They have been touring for a while now so I bet that are super tight so that will be cool to see as well. Le Loup is D.C. band who I fell in love with when they dropped their first album The Throne of the Third Heaven of the Nations’ Millennium General Assembly. They now have another album under their belt , the first that was written as a band, and therefore there is no relying on electronic elements as often happens when someone is recording an album all by themselves as Sam Simkoff did on the debut record. That album was kind of darker but had unlike many people who are making a dark album by themselves, it was also very big if not epic sounding. This time around it is less dark but it retains the big sound. Also I want to add what they said they sound like because I really like it, "SELF-INDULGENT ORGASTIC DECADENT FLOWERY DELICATE SATURNINE INTRICATE BOMBAST EXPLOSIONS SCRATCHING HOWLING HEDONISTS BROKEN PIECEMEAL GLUED BACK TOGETHER AND PARANOID FULL AND FRAGILE FLOATING AND FERAL AND FUTILE AND BORN OF CITIES AND SKYSCRAPERS LIKE OBSIDIAN MOUNTAINS AND SOOT-BLACK BILLOWY PLUMES FROM CHIMNEYS STABBING SKYWARD LE LOUP." The show is $10 and starts at 9 :30 PM.

Rotture is having a show with Ugly Colors, Housefire, and Duck Little Brother Duck. I am writing about this show because of the openers, Duck Little Brother Duck. They are amazing. To me it feels like if Cap N' Jazz was mathier and faster. The songs are absolutely insane in the best way possible. Each song has a million parts that rarely if ever repeat themselves. All the members are phenomenal at their instruments. I cannot say enough good things. I briefly checked out the other bands and formed some thoughts. Ugly Colors sounds like an emo band with some very emo vocals that sometimes does some cool guitar stuff. Housefire seem to have a bit of a Radiohead thing going on. But unlike most bands that have a Radiohead thing going on, this band does not completely blow. In fact I liked what I heard and will try to catch them in the future. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at my shows please say "Hi". I will be the one with the beard singing. If you go to these other shows, enjoey them for me.

-Ben


Nurses play the Doug Fir tonight. Welcome them home.

1 comment:

dharmabeatdown said...

It was then that you carried us, Ben.