Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Picks for October 6th

Hello Dear Readers,

Work is stupid. It makes me busy. When I am busy I suck at blogging. I hate to suck. Whatevs. There were some excellent shows over last weekend. I went to at least some of all three days of Arya Imig's SoundJudgement Festival III. It was a blast. Though one of the hightlights for me, besides playing a Meyercord set on Sunday, was when Kusikia played. I have never heard of them before but they are great. A two piece with a dude laying down some amazing drumming and a lady singing in a really cool voice. They built and released the tension in the songs so well and ended with a Nina Samone cover. Sick. Anyways, here is what is happening tonight.

Tuesday, October 6th

Valentine's is having a show with Dreamdate, City Center (Brooklyn), Chromes Wings, and Cloaks. This looks like a very cool show. I have heard very good things about Dreamdate. They are an all girl pop-band that is reminds me kinda of a minimal Aisler Set. Then you have the ambient-ish music of Saturday Looks Good To Me's Fred Thomas. Fred Thomas can pretty much do whatever he wants music wise. I have yet tho hear something that he has done that is not good. Somemay say that that his voice is not perfect. This may be true, but his understanding of music is great. His pop songs are so perfect musically and lyrically. And with the more experimental project of city center you see that he has an understanding of that kind of music as well. Chrome Wings are a band that I have been meaning to catch for a while now. They make noise music but not really like heavy noise. They aren't Wolf Eyes or anything. They are probably more in the same ballpark as a White Rainbow sort of thing. Actually so is the other band Cloaks. Except I would say that Cloaks is the more ambient of the two. I also want to say that when I say ambient I don't mean slow and boring. I mean suble and interesting. The show is FREE (donations accepted for touring bands) and starts at 9 PM.

Holocene is having a show called The Rumble and it will feature Fitz & The Tantrums, Blue Skies fo Black Hearts, and Sallie Ford & The Outside Sound. That's a pretty solid line up. I guess it makes sense though because it is put on by our frenemies over ar Pampelmoose and a lot of other people. I am told that Fitz and Tantrums is white boy soul. I know that Blue Skies for Black Hearts plays some mighty fine indie-pop tunes. Jangle-core! They actually rock it up a bit more than one might expect live. And Sallie Ford is just great. With her very tight and tasteful band, her songs are even better. Throwback americana pop! And the best part of all is that the sucker is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

So come out have fun. These are some FREE ass shows. Say, "Hi" to me if you see me. Somedody did this over the weekend and it was great.

-Ben

Chrome Wings at Tribal Cafe from Jordan Bernier on Vimeo.


Chrome Wings brings the noise tonight at Valentine's

No comments: