Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday October 15th

Hello Dear Readers,

Tonight is an amazing night for national music. By that, I mean there is the Why?/Mt. Eerie/No Age show, and the Grizzly Bear show. Those both sound mighty appealing, but this is a post regarding local music shows. There are some good ones tonight. Check it out.

Thursday, October 15th

Holocene is having a show with Ah Holly Fam'ly, A Weather, and AAN. First off I want to say that this is an amazing line up. For real, these are some of my favorite Portland bands. Also it is the record release for Ah Holly Fam'ly new album 'Reservoir'. I have heard it and it is really good. There are lush arrangements and gentle indie pop songs that are so good and make me jealous of all the bands with several instruments. A Weather is also have a new album coming out sometime eventually. I am sure they will songs off it. But if not, there are plenty of great songs from the first album. They feature hushed vocals and interesting time signature changes and good lyrics. ANN is going to be big. I have felt like the band is amazing for about a year now (maybe more?). But it seems like anyone who sees them just immediately falls in love with the music. The songs have really good lyrics, the music is really good, and Bud's vocals are very strong. I predict good things for them. The show is $6 and starts at 8:30 PM.

The Know is having a show with Westfold and My Dads. Westfold is a highly underrated band in my opinion. They play aggressive rock with lyrics that are often very socially conscious or aimed within. I guess what I am saying is that they don't really write love songs. My Dads appears to write instrumental music. It is not bad. There is some nice trumpet work and loads of other instruments. There are six members and many of them play more than one instrument. The show is probably FREE and starts at 7 PM.

Dunes is having a show with Typwrtyrs, The Woolen Men, and Matty Cries (Seattle), and Lee Corey Oswald. Typwrytrs is Justin Cory. He plays all the instruments and writes the songs. His picture on his myspace picture in front of that thing in LA just like Elliott Smith. He also mentions him as a major influence and if you listen to his song "Drain The Stairs" it is obvious, but not necessarily in a bad way. The Woolen Men play the slightly dirty indie rock. I really like it and have been meaning to catch them live for a while now. Matty Cries I think best described herself as Sesame Street for twenty-somethings. Which is to say that her songs are cute. Lee Corey Oswald is a folk duo that us relatively new to town. They work in the tradition of two guitars and two part harmonies. The show is at 9 PM.

So if you see me at one of these shows tonight, do no be alarmed. But please do say , "Hi". I am very approachable.

-Ben


Ah Holly Fam'ly is releasing their record to the masses tonight at Holocene.

No comments: