Friday, October 30, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Friday, October 30th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night at Mississippi Studios was awesome. Though I missed the first several songs of ioa, I caught that last several and I thought they were very good. Then The Robinsons came on. There were really good too. Just as I predicted they pulled from both Viva Voce and Blue Giant. And then Britt Daniel came on. Lord is he good at what he does, and lord how I love it. He mostly played solo and debuted a new Spoon song called "Mystery Zone". I thought it was good, but with the rest of Spoon backing him I could see it being really good. Speaking of backing him, near the end of the set Janet Weiss came out to back him on the drums. Though it was a little off at times it was very enjoyable they both looked like they were having fun. They did an amazing cover of Kathy's Clown by The Everley Brothers and and ended their encore (yeah they did an encore) with a cover of a Wipers song. It was so sweet. Any way, here is what looks good to me tonight.

Friday, October 30th

Doug Fir is having a show with Church, Run On Sentence, Jared Mees & The Grown Children, and AAN. Tender Loving Empire always puts together the best shows. For real these are all really good acts. Church is one of my absolute favorites for their dark moody and sudden guitar outburst tactics. Run On Sentence is a good story teller and his songs are really good. He always throws together a top notch band. Jared Mees and company are one of the most fun live bands to see. They are super positive people and tonight they will be backed with a horn section. AAN is my latest favorite Portland band (I have many favorites which I realize is contradictory). They also create moody music. But it so good. Every detail seems preordained and necessary. This show is not to be missed. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Moodring, Carson McWhirter (of the Advantage), Mason Lindhal and +CNCTD. Moodring is a Rollerball spin-off. This is what their myspace said, "Moodring is centered around Rollerball's Monte Allen and Mae Starr. While it’s easy to hear that Moodring is awesome, other words to describe them are a bit harder to come by. The presence of piano and clarinet give a free post-jazz flavor. Mae Starr’s ghostly vocals sound like the lounge music on a sinking ship. The deep groove jams sink in to form some kind of modern American gamelan sound. The music is so raw and infectious and immediate that it feels more proto-everything than post-anything. So just soak it in and sink into the doom." That sounds pretty cool , right? I am also a fan of The Advantage, the Nintendo cover band. +CNCTD as far as I can tell is one guy a lot of reverb a guitar and some made up language. Please correct me if I am wrong. Oddly enough I find it a little compelling. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say "Hi".

-Ben


Church plays the Doug Fir Tonight. Hooray!

No comments: