Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wednesday, October 14th

Hello Dear Readers,

I ain't gonna lie. My show going record of late has been lousy (no shows for Ben last night. again). I don't know what is going on. I have somewhat of an excuse for last night: AristeiA started recording yesterday and did not get out in time for show attending. We are recording again tonight but I am not sure when we will get out. But here are the shows that look good to me.
Wednesday, October 14th

Berbati's is having Leonard Mynx and Kelly Blair Bauman. The resident artist for Berbati's this month is Leonard Mynx. I have written about him several times. I really like his songs. I just want to clear and or cloud some things about this man. His real name is not Leonard (gasp!). But he renamed himself Leonard Mynx. With the wordiness of his songs, I cannot help but think that the name change is a nod to Mr. Cohen. But regardless, I live his tunes. He seems all over the place live but the single recording he has put out (he keeps telling me he is going to release like 4 albums very soon) is a mellow number with some very good production and very good arrangements. It is mellow Americana for those who are into genre tags. Kelly Bauman is a guy who I also written about. I like it by I have not familiarized myself enough his music to write confidently about it. The show is FREE and starts at 10 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with John Wesley Harding and Sean Flinn. I used to be obsessed with this one John Wesley Harding Song called "Still Photo". Essentially there was this one line "and you're still like your photo." It is a phrase that could be interpreted in two ways. I love it. Sean Flinn is a man about town. You may have seen him playing guitar in Nick Jaina's band. Or maybe in Jolie Holland's band. Perhaps you have seen him playing in Y La Bamba. But did you know that he has a solo thing too? His is really good. He has a very good understanding of the pop song. I have been kinda part of his band lately, but tonight he plays it solo. His songs are very catchy and the melodies are very interesting. Can't say enough. Check out his song "Patient Heart" it is so good. The show is $15 and starts at 8 PM.

Backspace is having a show with Lake (Olympia), Karl Blau (Anacortes), and Miss Massive Snowflake. I will be honest. Miss Massive Snowflake is not my favorite band ever. I do think they do some interesting things, but I am mostly listing this show because of the out of towners. Lake makes really good modern pop music. They recently put of a double split 7" with The Old Believers, Congratulations!, and The Red River. At the release show I was super bummed that all of the bands except Lake played that night. Karl Blau (who is also a member of Lake) makes music under his own name and is frequently seen on others records. I first heard of him through The Microphones. But I know he has been on many other peoples records most notably in my mind Laura Veirs. But his stuff is really good and diverse. Check out his song "That's how I got to Memphis". So good. The ALL AGES show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

So if I get out of the studio in time and you see me at one of these shows, please say, "Hi". Cause I am an okay person. I assume that if you are reading this, you are an alright person yourself. People that are not terrible should greet each other, no?

-Ben


Leonard Mynx has a residency at Berbati's every Wednesday this month.

No comments: