Monday, October 26, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, October 26th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night was awesome for me. If anyone who reads this was at the show I played last night, thank you. I totally did not regret not seeing the other awesome shows that were going on because of you. If you did not go to Valentine's last night and did go to another show, how was that? Anyway here of couple really good shows I think you guys should check out.


Monday, October 26th

Lola's Room is having a House of Rock Benefit: Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside, and Katie Sawicki. The show actually benefits Habitat for Humanity Portland and Metro East's Woman Build. Sallie Ford and her band The Sound Outside are great. They make retro-sounding indie pop with a bit of a bluesy/jazz tinge. Plus I would find it hard to argue that this is not a good cause. And what's more is that it is probably early enough to make it so that one can catch more than one show. Hmmm... The show is $6 and starts at 7 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Mirah, Led to Sea (Seattle?), and Kane Mathis (Seattle). This is kinda of sad. Apparently, Mirah is moving. Next time she plays Portland, it will not be as a local act. She has lived in Portland for a while now and I feel I made the most of it. I have seen her play several times. I think her music is great. It ranges from very intimate to very large scale much like her frequent collaborator Phil Elvrum of Mt. Eerie. Her voice is warm and strong and often writes what seems to be very personal lyrics. I honestly can't get enough. Led by Sea is Mirah-esque but is augmented by the occasional experimental outburst of string craziness. She will be in Mirah's touring band. Kane Mathis makes world-folk incorporating the sounds of West Africa and the Middle East. I am mostly really into Mirah. The show is $13 and starts at 9 PM.


If you see me at either of these shows please say "Hi". Then be all like, "I read the blog." I would love that


-Ben



Mirah plays for the last times as Porland resident tonight at Mississippi Studios.

No comments: