Monday, October 19, 2009

Ben Meyeroord's Live Music Picks for Monday, October 19th

Hello Dear Readers,


Did anyone go to any of the shows I mentioned last night. I did not. I was too "pooped". But know that I am not "pooped", I want to hear about what I missed. Anyway, I could only find one show I am interested in tonight.


Monday, October 19th


Valentine's is having a show with Lovers and The Cartographers (Los Angeles). I first heard Lovers right before summer with a song called "Igloos for Ojos". It was instantaneously one of my top summer jamz. I have been meaning to catch them live ever since but for several stupid reasons I have yet to make it out to a show of theirs. I need to buy their album it is something that I found lying around the Internet. But now that I I realize I really like it, I want to buy it. Their music on their latest release "I Am The West" is apparently a change from their previous albums. Carolyn Berk, the songwriter for the group, has put out three albums before this one usually of acoustic songwriter-y stuff. Her lyrics still never really stray from love, which makes sense given the band name. I really like it when songwriters decide to make dance music. Look at The Blow. Really interesting lyrics mixed with a beat. Brilliant. That is not to say that the album is a straight up dance party. There are numbers that have no synth or beats at all. They are still of a higher fidelity than previous albums. Whoa. Did I just start writing a record review? Whoops. The Cartographers also are making synth-pop based music, but they have a male/female vocals. Not too shabby. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.


If you see me at this show please say "Hi". I will give you a nickle and then say, "If I had a nickle for everytime some one said 'hi' to me at a show, I wouldn't be losing money".


-Ben


I think I love Lovers. You can see them at Valentines tonight.

2 comments:

Dr. Something said...

The Gratitillium and Choir of Young Believers show at Holocene tonight looks really good, too. Unfortunately, I will not be able to see either of these shows.

Ben Meyercord said...

I missed both too. Slacker that I am.