Saturday, October 17, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, October 17th

Hello Dear Readers,

I guess there is a huge garage rock festival happening today. I am not too hip to the garage rock scene but I recognize some of these names, so I assume that this might be a big deal. There are several venues involved and a lot of bands (some Portland, most not) and it is FREE if you RSVP. So here is the link for the Scion Garage Fest. Here are the local shows I think look good.

Saturday, October 17th

The Woods is having a show with Pancake Breakfast (White Salmon, WA), Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside, and Old Time Music Jamboree. I have seen Pancake Breakfast just the once, but I really liked what I saw. I single vision of songwriting augmented by a large choir of singers making the music larger than life. Though he is officially located in White Salmon (about 70 miles away) I feel like he is an honorary Portland artist since we are the closest city he can play in. He is very similar to Run On Sentence in that way. He stays on a farm out in the country and writes songs. Then he comes into town gathering up some Portland talent to present them to us. It is no coincidence that the two farm-folkers will be going on tour together come November. Sallie Ford is someone who i have been championing for quite some time, while I used to always make allusions to old jazz singers, with her band The Sound Outside her music is more steeped in retro-Americana. It sounds to me like what a kid might think a twangy 50's band would sound like, complete with stand up bass, and slight delayed guitar leads all the while maintaining a contemporary feel (no easy feat). I would imagine that Old Time Jamboree is a self explanatory name. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

The Artistery is having a show with Point Juncture, WA, Blunt Mechanic (Ben Barnett) (Seattle), and The Globes (Seattle). I really like that Point Juncture band. Despite my dislike of bands that have commas in their name (which makes it confusing when listing several bands in a row). They make music that to me is some times reminiscent of Yo La Tango and Stereolab. At the same time. Which is to say that the music is really catchy and interesting and buildings and sometimes has male vocals and sometimes female vocals. There are a lot proverbial musical chairs in regards tot the instrumentation that includes one of my favorites, the vibraphone. Also on the bill is former Portlander Ben Barnett, who you probably know as Kind Of Like Spitting. KOLS is a band that I got into before I moved to Portland. I feel love with the lyrics that often seemed brutally honest, almost uncomfortably so, mixed with the sense of melody that is really quite incredible. He could do a number that sounds like Bad Religion on one song, then a folk number, then something kinda jazzy like Karate or something the next, all the while maintaing a sincerity that makes it seem like he is confiding in you personally. I don't know much about the Globes, but if Ben Barnett brings them with him, I bet they are pretty good. The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

Vino Vixens is having a show with St. Frankie Lee and Osage Orange (Vermont). St Frankie Lee are a very entertaining band to see. It is a sprawling group that is based around the country songs of engaged couple Derrick and Chelsea. They have the art of banter down. They often try to have a theme for shows. And of course they belt out their songs in a male female unison that mixes warble and sweet. I don't know much about the Vermont group Osage Orange, but I met them last night and they seemed like a nice enough bunch. This show is probably FREE and starts at 9 PM.

So if you see me at any of these shows, please say, "Hi". I would love it. You might love it too.

-Ben


Point Juncture, WA tonight at the Artistery.

No comments: