Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music for October 8th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I did not get to see a show, but I did get to play a video taping of a couple of Y La Bamba for KZME. It was pretty fun. The backdrop behind us was kinda ridiculous. It consisted of a lot of blue and huge sparkly clothes that looked like they were floating underwater. I honestly can't wait to see it. The guy who interviewed us, John, was super nice and kept giving us thumbs up. He was Scottish and I kept pretending in my mind that I was on Craig Ferguson. Anyway, there are not many shows that I found to be that interesting. Here is the one

Thursday, October 8th

Holocene is having a show with Ocean Age, Nucular Aminals, and The Golden Hours. Last time I went to go see Ocean Age they were mostly sick. So only two members played. It was okay, but not really what I wanted to see. What makes Ocean Age stand out is their layers that they lay atop layers in a progression that come in and out in a very effective way. They are a five pieced and make good use of all the members. They often do instrument changes (a lot of keyboards, a lot of strummed ones as well). There are often four people singing at once. Some of their songs have an Animal Collective-esque beat. Others have a Broadcast-esque feel about them. But the thing that is most notable about them is their groove. Nuclular Aminals is a band that I heard played really well at PDX Pop this year, but was one of the few acts I missed. I have listened a bit to their music and thought it was pretty alright. They play upbeat melodic tunes that have prominent keyboard lines and male harmonies. The Golden Hours are a band that I heard of through friends. I have yet to see them but I have listened to the the three songs they have posted on myspace a few times and have developed an opinion. I like them. At first I was pretty skeptical because of the three songs they have posted, two are covers. But after hearing them I get it and I forgive them. They cover The Wipers and The Shirlies, a punk band and oldies group respectively. But The Wipers were among the more melodic punk groups. The song they cover by The Shirlies is "Baby it's you" which is such a great song. It is one of those songs that has a drum beat that goes, "Boom, boom boom, clack. Boom, boom boom, clack". Which I love. So It makes since that the one original tune they have is a piece of very melodic and catchy distorted pop. It actually reminded me of The Velvet Underground. So, I was very happy to see Lou Reed as one of their influences (Ray Davies was also listed). Also it appears that the band switches off between a female and male lead vocalist. I am a fan of this practice. The show is $5 and starts at 8:30 PM.

If you see me at the show, please say,"Hi". Because there is a chance I may be in a good mood, and which case I will reply, "Ho!".

-Ben


Ocean Age play at Holocene 2nite!

No comments: