Monday, October 19, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, October 20th

Hello Dear Readers,

Today AristeiA returns to the studio. This might mean no show for Benny tonight. But if I were to go a show, I can guarantee you it would be one of these.


Tuesday, October 20th

Crystal Ballroom is having Yo La Tengo play, and Jackie-o Motherfucker is opening. Sweet. Do I really have to write about Yo La Tengo? Probably not. Do I need to write about JOMF? Maybe. They make experimental music that is often folk and drone. It has a revolving cast of members who often have other experimental projects. Honestly not who you'd think of immediately to open for Yo La Tengo (Point Juncture, WA) but probably a really good mix. The ALL AGES show is $18 and starts at 8 PM.

Holocene is having a show with White Rainbow, Nice Nice, Bobby Birdman, and Juice Team DJs. This is the album release show for White Rainbow's "New Clouds" which came out today. White Rainbow performances are really cool. He weaves layers in an out creating an ambient yet totally interesting and sometimes banging and not ambient music. Does that make sense? Nice Nice makes loop based music as well, except theirs is always banging. And I love Bobby Birdman and his ex-Portland croon. He is like if electo-pop had a rat pack of one. The show is $5 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Ellas Street Social Club is having Prairie, A Leaf (Tacoma, Seattle), and Jacob Ruth (London) play a show. Awe shucks. What can I say, Prairie is originally from where I am from (North Texas). They have my same musical history so of course I like them. Americana! Actually, I suppose there is a log of that here too. Whatevs! The show is $2 and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Hammer of Hathor, Sade Sade (ex-Yellow Swans), Plankton Wat, and DJ Jello Prism. Experimental! I think that from now on, instead of racking my brain to find ways describe music I well just shout out very very broad genres. But seriously, Hammer of Hathor make really cool sax (or other brass) and drum based music, which is why I am listing the show. I don't know much about the others playing and I would feel like a phony pretending otherwise. So check out links I provided, or that video at the bottom of the post to decide if this is something you might be into. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at this show please say "Hi". I will then be like, "Hi. What's your name? Wanna high five?". And then we will high five. If you're into it.


-Ben


Hammer of Hathor will tear it up at Valentine's tonight.

1 comment:

Veronica Rose said...

Hey Ben! Thanks for the blog. The Tues. show at ellaz street was great and I wouldn't have know about it if it weren't for you! sum pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikstarter/sets/72157622506600561/