Friday, October 2, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for October 2nd

Hello Dear Readers,

I am posting this early because I have work at 7 AM this morning. Honestly this is an ungodly hour for me. Since today will most likely be a long day for me I tried to conserve some energy by not going to a show last night. I already regret it. Oh well. Anyone see anything good? Here is what looks good to me today.

Friday, October 2nd

The Blood Bank is having the first night of Sound Judgment Festival III. Tonight they have Pardee Shorts (6 PM), The Sarcastic Dharma Society (6:35 PM), Zoo Girl (7:10 PM), Duck. Little Brother, Duck! (7:45 PM),Yeah Great Fine (8:20 PM), Yoyodyne (8:55 PM), Wampire (9:30 PM), Blue Skies For Black Hearts (10:05 PM), and Reporter (10:40 PM). This festival is three nights long each at a different house venue. They are all ALL AGES and FREE. So tonight's highlights The Sarcastic Dharma Society, Duck Little Brother, Duck!, Yeah Great Fine. The Sarcastic Dharma Society seriously writes some of the best songs ever. For real I love them. Duck, Little Brother Duck writes crazy cool music that rarely repeats but is always awesome. You might call them mathy. Yeah Great Fine is a band that does whatever it takes to make a good song. That is to say that I don't think they really have a singular "sound" but believe me when I tell you, they are good. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Berbati's is having a show with Matress, Atole, Junkface, and E*Rock. I think that this is a record release show for Mattress. I am not sure if it will actually be on vinyl but whatevs. I have never really "got" Matress. He seems to me to give off the same vibe as Nick Cave if his voice was lower and was backed by a tape player (Nick Cave being another artist I have never truly understood). I do however like the company that Matress keeps. I have written positive things about all the other bands in the past. You should click on their links to hear what they sound like as I have never clever or fun to say about them right now. The show is $5-7 and starts at 8 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Kelli Rudick (Brooklyn), Jatun, Wishyunu, and Matt Menovcik (Seattle). What caught my eye about this show was Wishyunu. I have to be able to seem them. They seems to make very chill music. Even though they have some cool beats, it always pretty chill. In a good way. Jatun is a band that I feel describes themselves very well when they claim to be both shoegaze and electronic. I checked into they headliner and she seems to make very good music that is inventive and pretty (she is also pretty). The show iws $7 and starts at 9 PM.

So say "Hi" if you see me. I will be the exhausted one in a red Yellowstone hat.

-Ben


The Sacrastic Dharma Society play tonight at the Blood Bank. You can see me in this video on the left (with the beard) and probably tonight at the show.

No comments: