Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Picks for Wednesday, February 3rd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I went and saw Black Heart Moon play. It had been a while since I had seen them play. They are still really good if not better than they were before. I was hoping to see them play with their viola player. Oh well. I was super bummed as well because once again I missed seeing David Dyas play his solo set. One of these days I will see you play (bands, the best way to get me to see you play is to book me or one of bands on the same bill). Anyways there are a lot of good shows. Like really good shows. I am warning you, it will be hard to make a decision. Lucky for me I don't have to decide because:

Wednesday, February 31st

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Grey Anne, His Name Shall Breathe, The Sarcastic Dharma Society. Yes, I am playing this show. But even if I weren't I would be totally stoked on this show. This features some of my absolute favorite songwriters in Portland. Grey Anne is so good at her phrasing and communicating with her songs. Not many people can make me cringe out of sympathy or at a feeling of "oh I totally understand". His Name Shall Breathe is also an excellent songwriter. He seems very honest and his guitar playing is so pretty. It is similar to Owen. but maybe with more confessional lyrics. Then there is The Sarcastic Dharma Society. Check out these guys. I cannot say enough good things about them. The songs while tending to dwell on loss of love or musing on death often, depending on how you look at it, have glimmers of hope that I find very beautiful. I am so excited about this show. There is a $5 cover and starts at 9 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Dirty Mittens, Princeton (Eagle Rock, CA), and Monarques. I saw Dirty Mittens recently at the 100th Rontoms show. I was reminded of how much I like them. They are an indie pop band that has soulful vocals and a great band. I am at a loss of how to describe them. I suggest you check it out. I want to say that they are working on an album. I hope so. I want a new one ( I have worn out my copy of their ep). Princeton is a indie pop band from California that seem to be a very good fit for the Dirty Mittens. They have a nice mix of male and female vocals and very memorable melodies. Then there is Monarques. I missed their set at the Rontoms thing on Sunday, But I have seen them a few times before. They make music that brings up memories of Grease or other 50's pop. They have two female back up singers with tambourines and everything. It is super fun. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

LaurelThirst is having a show with The Ascetic Junkies and St. Frankie Lee. The Ascetic Junkies is a very poppy folk band with lots of harmonies. I have heard good things about their shows. I have yet to see them. I am writing about this show because of St. Frankie Lee. Fi you have not seen them I strongly suggest that you do. They have a large and roughly band and they sing songs written around the banjo and guitar of band leaders Derrick and Chelsea (one of the cutest couples in Portland). The songs are great and their energy is truly something special. The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

LaurelThirst is also having a show with No They Do and Sam Cooper. This is the second show for this venue in one night. Well done LaurelThirst. This one features No They Do a band that I am not familiar with. They seem to make quirky folk pop music with songs titles like "More Songs About Oven Mitts" I break for Cannibals". The main reason I am posting about his show though is Sam Cooper. He used to play in a lot of bands, but lately he has narrowed his focus to Horse Feathers and his solo project, Sam Cooper. A while back he put out his album Spiritual Billionaire. It features some really good folk tunes with incredible arrangements. If I had to wake every morning to one song it might be to "Flowers Owl Hours" . This show is also FREE but starts at 9 PM.

The Goodfoot is having a show with Don Hellions, Pluvial, When the Broken Bow and Miss Massive Snowflake. I have seen Don Hellions a few times and a few times I have liked them. They make music that combines a very likable croon and organ and sax and excellent drumming. It sometimes reminds me of Les Savy Fav but then sometimes harkens back to oldies. It is a feat very difficult to conjure both. Pluvial is one of the many many bands that David "papi" Fimbres plays drums in. This one sounds particularly sweet, though. It is a a drum and bass duo. Not like the electronic bass genre, but an actual drum kit and a bass guitar. They really awesome mostly instrumental music. I love the bass tone. So awesome. When the Broken Bow is Ali Ippolito. This is what she had to say for herself, "I'm a musical slut who can get enough. also a recording slut who can't get enough. piano's my first love, though we're kinda in a rough spot with our relationship at the moment... voice, clarinet, accordion - these are also my friends. bought a banjolele awhile back, as well as a flute... I'm considering recording just a banjolele album since, as i mentioned earlier in the program, the piano isn't willing to give me what i need right now... i guess I'm learning how to clear the clutter & redefine what the hell it is i'm supposed to be doing with myself, my hands, my ear(s), & how to enjoy this silly little town while i'm still here... moving to st johns-ish has helped. have you BEEN? shit....... ". Sounds interesting. Miss Massive Snowflake is all over the place. Their current default pic on myspace is a box of assorted donuts. That is probably how I would describe their music. Some songs are good. Some are down right weird. I have no idea what to expect in a live situation. The show is at 9 PM.

If you see me at Ellas Street please say, "Hi". I am the guy singing sadish songs on stage (ha.).

-Ben


This is one of my favorite songs and you can see her play it tonight.

No comments: