Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, February 27th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I had a great time at the Woods. Fences were good as they always are. Thanks again to Sam their bass player for letting me borrow his bass. Though to be fair I let him borrow my bass amp. Together we had the bass ends covered. The big event of the night though, was that Y La Bamba signed with Tender Loving Empire. We are so stoked. Anyway I counted nine shows I am interested in. That is too many shows. What is one to do? Here they are:

Saturday, February 27th

Portland Playhouse is having a No PA in NoPo show with Weinland and Justin Power. I played one of theses shows and it was pretty great. The no PA is no joke and it is awesome. Just straight up acoustic music. I ran into Matt Berger the other day and he let me know that he is drumming for both of these sets. Then later, they will all be heading over to Wonder Ballroom. The show is $12 and starts at 8 PM.

WonderBallroom is having an All-Star Country Covers show with Lewi Longmire, Darrin Craig (of Jackstraw), Bingo, Little Sue, Adam Shearer (of Weinland), and Justin Power. I love old country songs. Apparently so do these people. This is being put on by KUPL, the country radio station. The show is $9.87 to $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Work/sound is having a show with Wampire, Reporter, JonnyX & The Groadies, Fake Drugs, DJ Beyonda, and E*Rock. I really like Wampire, and Reporter. I have seen JonnyX before and it was awesome. They have their own light show and wireless guitars and fog. It is very rock. Fake Drugs is the newish dance band which is a side project of Guidance Counselor.. The show is $5 and starts at 8 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Boy Eats Drum Machine, Finn Riggins, and Brothers Young. Boy Eats Drum Machine is a one man pop musical spectacle. He mixes all of his influences and and a very unique set up that incorporates laptop, turntables, guitar, saxophone, and a distinct croon. This is his album release show for his latest out on Tender Loving Empire. Also on that label is Finn Riggins who you may remember from opening up for Built To Spill last time they played Portland. Those guys play progressive Indie rock music. Then there is Brothers Young which features some of the younger brothers of Loch Lomond's Ritchie Young. They all have voices that work very well together. Most of the time they sing in unison and create the doubling effect that many people use in recording in real life. Neat trick. The show is $8-$10 and starts at 9 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Damien Jurado, The Robinsons (of Viva Voce, and John Vecchiarelli. I have been a Damien Jurado fan for about ten years now. I think his stuff is kinda hit or miss but mostly hit. He does the narrative singer songwriter thing very well. The Robinsons is Kevin and Anita Robinson playing as a duo again (Viva Voce has been a four piece for a while now). I think this is my favorite incarnation of these two. It forces them to be inventive in their arrangements and shows off their musicianship. Plus I am a sucker for male female duos. I played with John Vecchiarelli just on Tuesday. I think his songs are pretty good. Check out "Cocoon" on his myspace page. It is good stuff. The show is $10-$12 and starts at 9 PM.

Ducketts Public House is having a show with White Fang, Shakes (Seattle), Fuck Mountain, and Guantanamo Baywatch. This looks like a high energy high stakes show. White Fang likes to party arty with their version of punk music. plus I am a fan of the surf rock elite that is Guatanamo Baywatch. One of these days aI will see them in all of their glory. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Laurelthirst is having a show with Kelly Blair Bauman, The Parson Red Heads, and Mike Coykendall Band. I thought The Parson Red Heads were out of here when their residency at the White Eagle finished. I was wrong. Tonight the country/folk rock peeps are playing with Kelly Blair Bauman another one of Portland's Americana talents that I have managed (much to my dismay) to have managed to not see. I plan on correcting this soon. Mike Coykendall played with The Parson Red Heads earlier this month as part of Peter Buck's band (or was it The Minus Five?). Anyway I think he released an album. I hear it is good. This show is $ and starts at 9:30 PM.

The Waypost is having a show with Michael The Blind, Leviticus Appleton, and Rivers Banks. I am a fan of Michael the Blind. I find him to be a very good guitarist and songwriter. If not a bit awkward. You may remember seeing him as the local cut of the day song he had a while back. Leviticus Appleton has a very unique and cool voice. Check him out. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Mudai Lounge is having a show with Wild Yaks (NY) and The Woolen Men. The Wild Yaks play rock music that involves most of the band screaming along with the lead singer. The band also uses some skronking sax to enrich their rock. I saw the Woolen Men once and liked what I saw and want to see them again to better form an opinion. As it is they seem like a very promising indie rock band. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

The Ace Hotel the Cleaners is having a show as part of the Jazz Fest with Blue Cranes. Blue Cranes music is so beautiful. You must see it live. This a good opportunity as it is FREE. The show starts at 8 PM.

The Banana Stand is having a show with Dr. Something And The Pipin Hot Love Engines and Constantina. Blogger love! Dr. Something will be playing with her full band including a new drummer, named Sean. I don't recall their old drummer, but they seem pretty stoked on the guy. Her songs are very enjoyable if you are into the fantastical or the absurd. The ALL AGES is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows say, "Hi". Then we can talk about all the other shows we are currently missing.

-Ben


Blue Cranes play tonight at The Ace Hotel Cleaners for FREE.

1 comment:

Ben Meyercord said...

Those of you who are good at counting may have noted that I listed more than nine shows. Those of you who are not so good at counting, disregard this comment.