Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, February 2nd

Hello Dear Readers,

I didn't see the show last night. Oh Well. I instead had a Meyercord practice and then hung out at Zilla Sake eating rice and cake (but not rice cakes) getting interviewed over the phone about Tragos Amargos. It was fun. Anyways, here are the shows that appeal to me today:

Tuesday, February 2nd

Music Mellennium is having an in-store performance by Pierced Arrows. You may or may not have heard of Pierced Arrows, but you probably have heard of their previous band Dead Moon. Dead Moon was the premiere NW punk band (or was it The Wipers?). Anyway in 2006 they retired. So what does one do in retirement? Start another band. Duh. I saw them play at PDX Pop this summer. It was good stuff which will be even better close range as these in-stores always are. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 7 PM.

Holocene is having a show called The Rumble. The Rumble is a series of shows put together by Furture Sounds, Cravedog, Pamplemoose, Music Millennium, XO Publicity, WOXY, and Spin Earth. They also do shows in Seattle, San Francisco, LA, San Diego, and New York. This one will feature Jaguar Love, Logan Lynn, and DJ A Train. Jaguar Love is one of the bands that rose from the ashes of The Blood Brothers (the other being Past Lives). My guess is that if you liked that Blood Brothers band, then you will like this band. Logan Lynn may look familiar to you because our own Amber Dawn wrote a review of Logan Lynn a while back. Kinda electro-pop? Maybe? This sucker is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Posies Cafe is having a show with Black Heart Moon. I love me some Black Heart Moon. Their music is built around the electric guitar and acoustic bass work of Catherine O'Dell (Horse Feathers) and Perry Pfister (Meyercord). Cat's voice is warm and wins you over instantly with her kinda sad songs that issue a sense of longing. Lord knows I love longing music. But since their inception they have added some members most notably David Dyas who adds lapsteel and various other instruments to the mix. The lapsteel sounds so good with the music. I cannot get enough. They also sometimes play with Emily Moeller on viola. I have not seen this happen, but I have been assured that is is quite beautiful sounding. The show is FREE? and starts at 8 PM.

If you see a guy who looks like me, say "Hi". Guys that look like me appreciate it when people who look like you say "Hi".

-Ben


Black Heart Moon make purdy music. You can see them at Poises Cafe tonight.

No comments: