Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday February 21st

Hello Dear Readers,

I got back from the little baby Y La Bamba tour this morning at 5 am. It was a lot of fun, but I know I missed writing a bout a ton of shows. Did you guys hear that The Joggers played the freakin' Kenton Club? That is insane. Anyways here are the shows that look good to me tonight. Though there is a chance I might just cath up on sleep in an actual bed.

Sunday, February 21st

Prime Time Bar and Grill is having a Haiti Crisis Relief Music Fest with Adio Sequence, Cellar Door, Element 57, El Swampo, Delta Bravo, Prairie 4 Pm, Black Heart Moon 3 PM, Skyylar Pelous, and Over the Edge. Okay I will level with you. Most of these bands are not "good". Or maybe I mean to say they are not my cup of tea, because I like "good" music. Whatever. It is a good cause and there are two bands in this list that are good. Namely Black Heart Moon and Prairie. Black Heart Moon makes well arranged folk music based around the core of Catherine O'Dell and Perry Pfister on electric guitar and acoustic bass as well as foot drums respectively. They make music that sounds larger than the three piece appears it can make. Oh did I mention David Dyas. He plays the slide guitar and sometimes a regular guitar and adds some backing vocals which helps create the large sound that I mentioned. He effects laden slide just sounds so epic. Prairie is a band that I have been meaning to see live for a while now. I like what I have heard. And if you try it out, I think you might like it too. The show is by donation and is lasting from noon until 10 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with System & Station, Swim Swam Swum, and Amber Voltaire. I don't know a whole lot about the other bands, I know that they are rock, but I really like Swim Swam Swum. To me, they are the epitome of lean guitar driven angular indie rock. I have been meaning to pick up their new album for months. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

Rontoms is having a show with Strange Holiday, Jen Moon, and Sharpening Markers. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM. Basically I think that Strange Holiday is one of the best new bands in Portland. The vaguely have a Beach Boys fronted by a woman sound. They have a lot of reverb and one of the most solid rhythm sections in town. Plus a heap of key boards. Does that make sense? I don't know. They have a digital ep available while they work on the full length. Jen Moon is also a female fronted band that I am very impressed with. Jen leads the band while playing keyboards and synths. It shares members with one of my favorite Portland bands, Oh Captain My Captain. This show will be good. In fact, I am pretty sure this is the show I will go to. It is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say "Hi". That would be cool. I might be a little out of it. It happens more often than not lately. Not that I am complaining. Not sleeping loosens me up.

-Ben


Swim Swam Swum play the Doug Fir tonight. It will not look like this.

No comments: