Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, February 23rd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I went to the Woods. I must admit I was a little sleepy and the music I heard was very soothing. It was one of those shows where I got in a very zoned out modes, but in a good way. Alina Hardin's voices and guitar playing is very gentle and quite beautiful. This was my first time to see her. I talked to her a little afterwards and found out that she has not played out in Portland very much (she just moved here in November). I bought her CD and the collaboration she did with her friend Alela Diane. I have not had a chance to listen to wither yet, but I think their voices would work together very nicely. Then the wonderful Musee Mecanique played their first time as a trio. It worked very well. They were were short a drummer and bassist. Sean and Mica split the drum duties by having the person playing guitar play a kick drum and the person playing key board playing the bass on the keys and a high hat with a tambourine on top. Meanwhile Brian covered the rest of the instruments including keys, samples, melodica, harmonica, accordion, slide guitar, glockenspiel,shaker, and backing vocals. There were a lot of instruments on stage but, I assure you ever thing was tasteful and also quite beautiful. By the time you read this the guys are on their way to their European tour. Oh and there are some good looking shows tonight as well:

Tuesday, February 23rd

Jackpot Records is having an in store with Quasi. This is because Quasi has a new album out. Now, I have not heard it but two of my best friends pre-ordered the crap out of it and have told me that is very good. I think I might break down and get a copy as well. Now I know that Quasi will ever put out another album like "Featuring Birds" (my favorite Quasi album) but Sam Coomes has been playing a lot of guitar the last few years and has turned Quasi into a kick ass rock band instead of a kick ass pop band. I saw Quasi at Jackpot last time they put out an album, so word of advice: get there early if you plan on seeing anything. But if you are not concerned and just want to hear it, then you are set. The event is ALL AGES and FREE and starts at 6 PM.

The Woods is having The Portland Round a sort of little sibling to The Seattle Round. Here is how the organizers of the Round describe what they do, "Three musicians share the stage with slam poets & live painters. It's a visually captivating show and a unique gathering of different mediums. It's about community and engagement. The Portland Round began in February, 2008 has now has a monthly showcase at The Woods, a beautiful new space in SE Sellwood". Sounds kinda cool. This time they have John Vecchiarell, Adrienne Hatkin (of Autopilot is for Lovers), and Ben Meyercord (Me!). Plus live painting from returning artist Michelle Tuffias, layered spray-painted art from Beth Myrick, and poetry from slam poet Melissa Rose. There will be a lot of stimuli going on, but do not fret. It will be in a good way. I have yet to see John play and I am very much looking forward to it. I am also really curious as to how Adrienne's songs will come of with out the big sound that Autopilot has been doing lately. And honestly myself too. I have been playing with other people so it has been awhile since I did anything this stripped down. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Backspace is having a show with Pepi Ginsberg (NY/LA/where ever), Pepper Rabbit (silver Lake, CA), and Secret Codes. I am not familiar with the majority of the bands ie the touring ones. I have heard a tiny bit of a Daytrotter session Pepi did. In the few seconds I listened to it seemed kinda crazy with some cool guitar stuff and high energy. Secret Codes on the other hand, I am very familiar with. David Kyle is the mastermind behind the group ie he wrote the music. It is mostly chill instrumental (they are working out some vocals) post rock with some Eastern and mathy flourishes added. It is awesome. There is rhodes, and trumpet and flute added to the traditional rock line up of guitars, bass, and drums. You really should check this band out. The ALL AGES show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Themes, Dyas, and Darren Hanlon (Aulstralia). Themes is a two piece that features piano and (baritone?) guitar and two vocals. This is not folk music despite what they tell you. It is rock music. Dyas is a guy who used to play under the name David Dyas. I guess he is going the Meyercord route now (just going by your last name; although I guess Morrissey beat me in that game). This is actual a CD release party for David's recently finished EP. David also plays in Carcrashlander with Cory Gray. I think that members of that band including will be backing David. Cory also usually backs Darren on tour. It's all family at this show. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at The Woods tonight please say, "Hi". But not when I'm singing. I get easily distracted.

-Ben


Adrienne is the girl in this video. She will be solo tonight at The Woods.

No comments: