Monday, February 8, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, February 8th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I went to Rontoms. It was a tough choice, as I also wanted to go Valentine's pretty badly as well. But it was one of my friend's birthday and the debut of his band called Yours. I am glad I went to that show. All the bands were great. Oh Captain My Captain started the night out strong. I had listened to their ep a few times prior to going to the show in preparation. It paid off, as I was able to hit all of the backing vocals and sing along from the audience. Then came that band Yours, I mentioned previously. I was not sure what to expect. The only thing I expected really was for the band to be a duo. I was wrong. I think I counted at least five (six?) guys in the band (three of which were also in Oh Captain My Captain). They had a Congo/bongo drummer that I could not hear. But otherwise it sounded good. It had a kinda classic rock feel. Their second to last song was a cover of a Beatles song from Let It Be. It sounded great. There was a lot of rotating instruments. On one song there were two people playing the one piano. I love it when people do that. Then a break in which I had a couple of the wonderful deviled eggs that Rontoms has available for sale (actually most of their food is good). Then Morning Teleportation took the stage. They brought the energy that I thought they would. They got people to stand, a rare thing at a Rontoms show. I even saw a guy dressed in a full body Gumby costume dancing. Wack! It was fun and left me spent and ready for bed. So I left. Anyways, here are the shows that look good to me tonight:

Monday, February 8th

The White Eagle is having a show with The Parson Red Heads, Scott McCaughey (of The Minus 5, Peter Buck (also of The Minus 5 and REM, and Marty Marquis (of Blitzen Trapper). The Red Heads, Oregonians who currently reside in LA, are in town all month doing the White Eagle residency. Tonight they have some of Portland's other residents joining them. If you like rock and roll music, you should check out The Minus 5. Because that is what they make. Scott McCaughey knows songcraft and has applied it to both of his bands (he also is a part of The Young Fresh Fellows). I have never seen him solo, if that is how he is going to play. But it wouldn't surprise me if he had some friends backing him. The Minus 5 records are almost always packed full of guest appearances. The last one featured a few Decemberists members (just saying). Peter Buck is in that band I was just talking about as well as his main one REM. I don't really have to go into REM, do I? Marty from Blitzen Trapper is not the songwriter for that band. His songs however are very good. I saw him play at Rontoms once and was very impressed. His voice is awesome it is kinda raspy and navigates his detailed narratives very well. A very good show for the cover price. Which reminds me..the show is FREE. It all gets started at 8:30 PM.


Berbati's is having PBR Industry night with Patterns, Weatherbox (San Diego), and my man DJ Theo C. Patterns is a solid Portland band that I have seen and enjoyed a few times. They make the pop music, specifically the indie rock kind. It has organs? But not like your body has organs, but like the Doors had organs. But they don't sound like The Doors. Weatherbox is a band from California. They are a pop band that have labeled themselves, "UNABASHED DUDE-ROCK". You gotta love that. Plus their myspace looks like a Kurt Vonnegutt paperback. How cool is that? Very. DJ Theo C. is Theo Craig also know as the booker of the stars. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows, do not hesitate to say, "Hi".

-Ben

Peter Buck will get down at The White Eagle for the fair price of FREE.

1 comment:

Ben Meyercord said...

Coulda sworn I had a video. Whoops.