Monday, February 22, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, February 22nd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last Night Strange Holiday killed it at Rontoms. Just killed it. I love that band. I pick up hints of Beach House, The Beach Boys, Stereolab or Broadcast and probably others but it doesn't sound like it is ripping anything off. It sounds organic and more importantly, good. I got a copy of their ep which is out (digitally). I cannot wait to hear it. Oh and if you find happen upon a spare $30, you should probably go and see The Magnetic Fields at The Aladdin Theater. If not, then you should check out these shows:

Monday, February 22nd

The Woods is having Musee Mechanique with Alina Hardin. All right, Musee Mecanique is just straight up crazy good. The music created can be thrown in the indie folk ballpark, but they are a cut above the rest (probably more than one cut). Their songs seem cinematic and very delicate to me. They incorporate traditional acoustic folk instruments with synths that remind me of something Blonde Redhead would use. The group is based around Sean and Mica, but every one in the band is a great musician. Tonight they are playing a rare show as a trio. "But why?", you may ask. Well that is because their European label will only pay for three of them to go tour their continent so that is how they have been practicing. I have been told that it sounds just as good as with the full band and that it is even more impressive because there are less people. Alina Hardin is best known for the album she put out last year with Alela Diane. Like her friend Alela she makes very pretty very well made actual folk music. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

The White Eagle Saloon is having the last of The Parson Red Heads residency in Portland. This time they are playing with Ezra Carey and Cabinessence. Everyone who I talk to that has seen any part of this residency has said that The Red Heads are pretty darn good. I do like me a good psychedelic country band. I do imagine the Graham Parsons factored into their band name. The other two acts somewhat fall in the same category especially Cabinessnce who I will keep my eye out for. Their music on the song "Grace" was instantly likable with Byrds-esque harmonies. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Prizm, Arohan, and DJ Maxx Bass. If you want a break from all that folk or country rock or whatever, I suggest you check out the techno and dance music that Valentine's will be providing. I I could 't find anything on PRIZM, but Arohan makes some sort of sub genre of house music. I think DJ Maxx Bass lists himself as a Disco DJ. As someone who has attended a dance function at Valentines before I assure you that despite how it looks, Valentine's makes for a good dance floor. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say,"Hi".

-Ben




Musee Mecanique will be playing this song as a trio tonight. Sweet video, right?

No comments: