Thursday, February 4, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, February 4th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night was awesome. The Sarcastic Dharma Society started the night off in brilliant form. I was pleasantly surprised that Padriac Finbar Haggerty-Hammond played a few songs. I also heard a few songs that I have never heard from Mat. Then Grey Anne played a set that displayed her songwriting and sense of interlocking looped melodies. I played a set too. felt pretty good about it. But the night ended with a gorgeous set by His Name Shall Breathe. He plays his sets in an unending flow with the songs flowing seamlessly into one another. His playing style is both very beautiful and impressive. He ended the show with a cover of a Fiona Apple song. :

Thursday, February 4th

Holocene is having a Public Interest Law Project Benefit with Evan Churchhill, ioa, aan, and basillionaire. So what is PILP? I did a little research and found this, "The Public Interest Law Project was organized by law students in 1990 as a chapter of the National Association of Public Interest Law (NAPIL) - now known as Equal Justice Works. PILP is dedicated to encouraging law students to pursue public interest careers. PILP's primary goals are two-fold:
1. providing summer stipends for students working in public interest law; and
2. establishing a loan repayment program for graduates choosing to pursue careers in the public interest profession." But mostly I am posting this because ioa and aan are both fantastic bands. ioa, Amanda Spring of Point Juncture WA, makes latin flavored indie pop rock. She has assembled an awesome band that create very cool grooves. I do not know how to salsa. I am not even sure which dance that is, but I am pretty sure that it is the dance that should accompany this music. aan is one of the most dynamic bands in Portland. They also have a helluva singer and guitarist. Bud Wilson has a very powerful and unique voice. I now that they have an album coming out later this year which I cannot wait to get. The show is $8-$10 and starts at 7 PM.

Doug Fir is having is having a show with Loch Lomond, Shelly Short, and Billygoat. This is a great line up. Loch Lomond is probably the premiere chamber pop band in Portland. They have a new ep out on Hush records that has this one song called "Wax and Wire" that I just absolutely adore. As someone who has seen them very recently, I can attest to their live music abilities as well. Also on Hush records is Shelly Short. She has a very sweet voice. I could listen to her sing just about anything and be pleased. But the best part about her is that she makes very good music. What I have heard of her latest release A Cave, A Canoe is gorgeous. Billy goat is a duo that I first saw at Ritchie Young's (Loch Lomond) venue the Woods. They make cinematic instrumental music that accompanies a self made animated feature. It is truly something special. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.


If you see someone who looks like me at one of these shows please say, "Hi". A high five would also be nice.

-Ben


Shelly Short will fill the Doug Fir with her sweet music tonight.

No comments: