Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, February 7th

Hello Dear Readers,

Yesterday may have noticed that I didn't make a post yesterday. I had no access to a computer. What are you gonna do? I hope some of you caught the Cars and Trains CD release Party at Backspace. I wanted to go, but I had friends in from out of town so... i missed it. I did play my friend Tamara's birthday party a few songs with Sean Flinn and a few songs with Luzelena. Grey Anne also played a couple of songs in a rare straight up acoustic performance. Anyways, here is what looks good to me tonight:

Sunday, February 7th


Rontoms is having a show with Morning Teleportation, Yours, and Oh Captain My Captain. Morning Teleportation is a good band. They have an infectious energy and crazy song structures. The lead singers yelp is often backed by some harmonies and even more often some group shouts. They are sometimes reminiscent of Modest Mouses weird energetic outbursts (if MM were a jam band), which makes sense why Issac Brock took them under his wing. They are about to go on a big tour, so come see them off. Yours is a new band of Matthan Minster of Oh Captain My Captain (he plays piano and sings backups in Oh Captain). I always thought that Matthan has a really really good voice. Hopefully he uses it in this band. But I don't know that he does. The myspace only has a track of he and presumably Adam Trachsel, the other half of Yours, mucking about on a piano. Speaking of Oh Captain My Captain. They are playing tonight too. They are a really great band. They have a beach boys mixed with indie rock kinda feel to them, not dissimilar to Dr. Dog. You should pick up their newly released ep because it is really good. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Ocean Age, Ghosties USA, and Deacon. This is a really cool show. Ocean Age is on the verge of dropping a album this month. They have at least one song up on their myspace. Ghosties is Devin. You may recognize him as the guy in Typhoon who plays bells and a plastic sack. In this project he plays drums along with prerecorded music. Or he will play guitar. Or maybe will have some friends with him? I have never seen him play, but he has said that these are the possible incarnations. Also USA got added to the name Ghosties. It will make him a whole lot easier to google. I saw Deacon once a while back. It was comprised of Mica Ryan and Jason Parker (of The Truly Me Club). The music was cool and effects heavy and I recall being reminded of of Animal Collective (but only a little bit). The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

East End is having Sleepy Sun (San Francisco) and Rainbow Bridge (Olympia Portland) play a show. First of I believe that this is a Potlatch Presents show. That generally means that it is a good show. Sleepy Sun is a band that I actually heard of through following the musical endevors of Rachel Williams aka Birds Fled From Me. She is a sometimes member of the band. They certainly do have a sleepy sound. Not in a boring way but more a very chill way. There is a lot of reverb in the mix and I a lot of vocals too. Plus every once and a while some fuzzy guitar solos. It reminds me of 60's hippy rock or something (also not in a bad way). Rainbow bridge sound like a post-Moldy Peaches Pacific NW indie-rock band that is meant to play house shows filled with kids who want to have a good time. Which I guess is what they are. The duo is comprised of a guitar played and a drummer (who also sometimes plays bass or keyboards). The recordings I heard were quirky and filled with a sloppy charm. I especially liked a line in their song "Rain Nair" about eating hipsters just for kicks. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

The Parlour is having a show with Professor Banjo's Old-Time Play Part, Spirit Duplicator, and Dr. Something. Actually, I have heard that the good professor will be unable to make it. I have also heard that Spirit Duplicator and Dr. Something have worked up something of a collaboration. Sounds intriguing. Dr. Something as you should know is a fellow CIMTB blogger. Her songs are imaginative and written around her clarinet, accordion or guitar. Her acoustic pop covers issues that most don't. Subjects like riding bikes into the center of the earth or frozen boogers. In fact, so does Spirit Duplicator. As far as I can tell, his song "Rockets Red Glare" is a bout a camel getting hit in the balls. I can assure that no other bands are singing about that. The ALL AGES show is $5 and starts at 7 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi".

-Ben


Morning Teleportation plays for FREE tonight at Rontoms

No comments: