Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday February 16th

Hello Dear Readers,

Yesterday was what I like to call a busy day at work. I was so close to finishing my live music picks. I had them all listed, I had created all of the links, I had even picked out a video to go along with the post and embedded the code. But I had to do like one more description and then work was over. I thought I had a few hours to before AristeiA practice, but as it runs out, I had no hours before practice. I totally for got about the blog post. I practiced for five hours and called it a night. I didn't see any shows, but man I had fun at practice. We pretty much wrote a new song. I am excited. You know what else I am excited about? Portland music. Check it:

Tuesday, February 16th

Holocene is having Atlas Sound (Atlanta), White Rainbow, Nurses, and Jib Kidder (San Fran). This show, from what I understand, was thrown together last minute when Bradford Cox (Atlas Sound) decided that he should play a show because he was going to be in town. He is no stranger to Portland (he usually steals our musicians to be in his band). This project, he is also in some band called Deerhunter, is more about Bradford Cox doing whatever he can manage do with his home recording equipment (he can do a lot). I used to think of Atlas Sound as very ambient. But it seems that that is not always the case. In fact, he has some down right pop songs under this alias. Though most of the time the music is drenched in artificial reverb. If I am not mistaken , White Rainbow is one of those Portland People who is sometimes in the Atlas Sound band. Adam Forkner makes blissed out music created by guitar and keyboards and a chaos pad and many effects pedals. I think that the music comes out different every time, so every show is special. Nurses is also a fan of the "verb". They also make really catchy songs. Though nurses makes use of looping stuff too but they have song structures (though a bit weirder than Atlas Sound). I don't know anything about Jib Kidder except that it is on States Rights records. The show is $10 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with The Woolen Men, Orca Team, and Karen. This looks like a really good show. I only saw The Woolen Men once, but it made me want to see them again. I only heard one of the guys sings and apparently there are two songwriters in the band. Orca Team are a band I haven't seen yet, they make really well made neo surf music. I remember finding Karen's myspace once. But I can't remember how. I have know idea what it will be like. Is Karen a person? A band? A project? I thought I told you... I don't know. This show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Danny Malone and Winterhaven. Wow. This is crazy. I grew up like six blocks away from Danny Malone in Dallas, TX. He was pretty talented then and really talented know. Back then he sang and played drums and guitar and bass. Now he still does all of that but also helps run a recording studio in Austin as well. I have his first album and thought it was great. I mean if you you like that sort of "I'm gonna get real drunk and cry about girls" kind of music (I do! I do!). Winterhaven is a band that I have been meaning to see for a long time now. It is the people behind THWBRO. They apparently are a fan of music from "The 70's". I say that because that is what they list as both their influence and what they sound like. They are a band of songwriters and have told me that they are passionate about harmonies. I also learned from them that Winterhaven is where Gram Parsons (of The 70's) was born. I think that this will be a good night of music. Plus hanging out at The Woods is awesome. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

Fez Ballroom is having a Fat Tuesday Haiti Benefit with The Prids, DJ Roxy Epoxy, Reverse Dotty, Soft Tags, We Miss the Earth, and John O'Mara. I think that Haiti benefits are great. Because it is getting you to spend money on something you would probably spend money on anyway and putting it to good use. I always forget that the Prids are a good band. I have never seen them but after writing about them for a while, I really want to see them. They make pop music that is made with a lot of fuzz. Actually so do most of the bands that are playing this thing. I also have not seen Soft Tags despite my best efforts. They are constantly putting out CDs that are always outdoing the last CD. I will be honest. I have a copy of their latest, a double disc, that I have not had a chance to listen to yet. You can probably hear those songs tonight though. And if you don't like fuzzy guitars maybe you will like the the synths of Reverse Dotty. Whatever though, this is a good cause. The show is $8-$10 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I would if I saw you at a show.

-Ben


This is what White Rainbow does. p.s. check this out.

No comments: