Sunday, February 14, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, February 14th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I went to the know and man am I glad I did. Elders were even better than when I saw them the night before. I guess playing the night before kinda loosens you up. Plus I hadn't just finished playing a set so I might have been in a better mind set to watch a band play. That being said I was kinda sleep deprived last night after getting a mere three hours of sleep and then working a ten hour shift. Whatever the case, I was into it. Then Blue Cranes played. Oh. My. God. They are so good. They played mostly material that will be coming out on an album this summer (June?). It was beautiful. Every player in the band (two sax players, stand up bass, drummer, and piano/keyboard player) was so expressive in the way they played their instruments. It truly was like the instruments are extensions of themselves. The set seem way too short, but they ended up playing a quiet encore so as not to upset the neighbors. Oh and um...Happy Valentines Day to all you lovers out there. If you don't have a Valentine I am sure all of the bands playing tonight would love to have you be theirs (I apologize in advance, if it turns out they don't want to be your valentine):

Sunday, February 13th

Rontoms is having a show with Monarques, Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside, and Brittian Ashford. It is being put on by Potlatch Presents. They made you a valentine, see. I read somewhere that this show is 50s and 60s valentines themed. That totally makes sense give the line up of the retro pop of both Monarques and Sallie Ford. Though both of those band definitely have a throw back feel. I could imagine either playing a sock hop and not feeling out of place at all. Brittain Ashford on the other hand is not throw back. But will be a nice addition for a Valentines show as most of her songs deal with with matters of the waxing and waning of the human heart. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Wartime Blues (Missoula) and Graves. I have not heard of Wartime Blues. But it looks like an impressive bunch. I feel like the large Americana bands are on the rise. This group is eight strong and includes instrument favorites like acoustic guitar, banjo, piano/organ, drums/percussion, electric guitar/ baritone guitar, bass, and cello/saw. And I believe there are harmonies in the mix. What really draws my attention though is that the bands lists Wilco right next to Godspeed! You Black Emperor as influences. How cool is that? Very. Graves is a band that I feel is a bit taken for granted. At least they are by me. You know how so music is heavy? This band is very light, I always get the feeling that they are very lackadaisical in their approach to music. They just kind jam out creating indie pop gems in the process. It is good stuff. The show is $6-$7 and starts at 9 PM.

The Laundromat is having a show with Almost Nearly, Leviticus Appleton, Charley (From Bird Announced Land), Bare Feet, Tattered Times, Comptche. This is what the people throwing the show had to say, "Early Valentines day show! We're on a second floor apartment on the corner of 19th and Wasco. look for a big blue sign. The Show is free and coffee is one dollar for a bottomless cup. Bring a mug and come early to hangout." Not sold? Well let me suggest that you check out the music of Bird Announced Land. Charley has an amazing voice. I forgot how much I liked it until I saw this show and listened again. The show is FREE and starts at 3 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". Give me a Valentines Day hug. I will return the favor.

-Ben


Sallie Ford and The Sound Outside are totally playing your Valentines Day Prom tonight.

No comments: