Saturday, February 13, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, February 13th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I played in Seattle with a bunch of post rock bands. It was awesome. It was so nice to play in AristeiA for an audience again (it had been months). Plus I met a bunch of cool people. but it also meant that I got home at 6:30 this morning. I am really sore and tired at the moment. But there are some shows I would like to mention that are happening tonight:

Saturday, February 13th

The Know is having a show with Blue Cranes and Elders. Blue Cranes is one of the only Jazz bands I know in Portland ( I also know Evolutionary Jass Band). I am not well versed in that genre, but I know that their music effects me. I "feel" it. They have dynamics and shifts that keep things interesting and I love the tones from their keyboards. I highly suggest you see them. Also Elders is one of the bands I played with last night in Seattle. I can vouch for their awesomeness. They are a mostly instrumental band that can be grouped with the post rock crowd. But they also have some vocals by their female keyboardist Jessica. I thought they sounded fantastic. I often tried and failed to bob my head along to their music (in a good way). Plus they are all super nice people. The show is $8 and starts at 8 PM.

Backspace is having a show with Quail Lungs, His Name Shall Breathe, and The Ro Sham Bos. Quail Lungs is the lo-fi pop project of Travis Bonilla. I really his song Dumb Dadadum. I included the video at the bottom of the page. His Name Shall Breathe is one of my favorites. Tim Martin plays his guitar in very impressive arpeggios and writes very earnest songs and delivers them in sets where the songs all flow together to create a wonderful experience. I cannot recommend his band enough. The Ro Sham Bos play piano driven music that seems to come from another time period. Specifically one that has past. It is The ALL AGES show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Jade Lounge is having a show with Ezza Rose. Ezza Rose plays folk pop music in the Portland tradition. Her voice is sweet her songs are enjoyable. She trades off between banjo, uke, and guitar (acoustic). If you are in the SE this evening you should check it out. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Alberta Street Pub is having a show with Dr. Something & The Poppin' Fresh Love Engines and Activity Universal Associates. Dr. Something is a fellow w CIMTB blogger. I presume that tonight she is playing with a full band. The last couple of times she has played it has been solo (I think, I was unable to see them, sorry). But I have a copy of her ep and like her songs about frozen boogers, love, and other oddities. I couldn't find much information on Activity Universal Associates except for the video that I linked to. I guess it is electronic? The show is $5 and starts at 7 PM.

Someday Lounge is having something called Cover Your Hearts which is a benefit show for Ethos. It will feature Charmparticles, Jonah, Dr. Theopolis, Gentlemen (East Bay), Adrian H & The Wounds, Celilo, Erik Blood (Seattle), Blue Skies for Black Hearts, and Bryan Free. I am posting about this show because Ethos seems to me to be a very good program. Plus I really like the power pop of Blue Skies for Black Hearts and the Americana of Celilo. The show is $10-$15 and starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". And then slap your palm against my palm. Its called a high five. I am sure that you will be into it.

-Ben

Quail Lungs - Dumb Dadadum from Joshua Jay Elliott on Vimeo.

Quail Lungs plays Backspace tonight. Cool!

No comments: