Monday, November 30, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, November 30th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I had the first AristeiA band practice in a week (an eternity in AristeiA time). Though a bit rusty at first but I know that we are gonna be on tomorrow at Doug Fir (hint hint). Here are the shows that look good to me tonight.

Monday, November 30th


Valentine's is having a show with Pony Village, Trial Balloons, and Meyercord (my band). I have been meaning to catch a Pony Village show for quite a while. They play melodic indie-rock that I do not find quite indie pop (but maybe I'm wrong). Trial Balloons only have one song up but it it is a really well recorded piece of indie-pop music. Some people have said that Meyercord songs are sad. I prefer to think of them as bittersweet. I guess if I were to describe my own music I would say that it is based in singer-songwriter genre but has more dynamics than just an acoustic guitar. I add a lot of pauses and phrase things carefully to create tension. Also I have help now in the form of Perry Pfister on Upright bass and glockenspiel and Holland Andrews on clarinet, vocals, and sometimes glockenspiel. This show should be fun. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

There is a show at Fleetwood Shack is having a show with Guantanamo Baywatch and Shannon and The Clams (Oakland). Neo-surf rock! Kinda. I mean Guantanamo Baywatch is surf rock for sure, but viewed through the eyes of a punk rocker. And while you would think that Shannon and the Clams would be the same, they are not. Shannon and Co. make 50s style rock and roll. I love it. I want more bands to do this. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts art 8 PM-ish.



If you see me at my show please say, "Hi". If you do I will mose certainly dedicate a song to you if not the whole set.



-Ben





Pony Village will be bringing it to Valentine's tonight. I might bring it back.

No comments: