Monday, November 23, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, November 23rd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I played yet another show I did not write about. This time it was as Meyercord and a potluck. There were some other people who played as well. But one guy in particular caught my ear. He apparently moved here from Nashville and calls himself Tenderbear. I liked it. But any who, if I go to a show tonight, it will be one of these:

Monday, November 23rd

Valentine's is having a show with Furure Historians and Pablo (NY). Future Historians is the newish project of former Crosswalks, Dave Shur. It, like Crosswalks, has a foot firmly in a tradition of strong vocal melodies that get stuck in your head. But Unlike Crosswalks this band has added a little something into the mix. A taste of the old folk/country vibe. It works really well. Pablo is a band from New York who make modern pop-rock music. They appear legit, and my man Matt Brown vouches for them, so...whatevs. Nick Jaina is also rumored to play the show. I think he is really good at writing songs, and has assembled a mighty fine band as well that usually includes stand up bass, drums/percussion, violin, vibraphone, trumpet, and clarinet. He falls onto the well orchestrated folk-pop that Portland is famous for. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Ellas St. Social Club is having a show with Hexlove, Moodring, Pregnant (Sacremento), and Cruiser. Hexlove is totally experimental. Not a whole lot of melody happening, but there are a whole lot of interesting textures and even some singing that is kinda pretty. But mostly crazy drumming with pieces of sound juxtaposed with it. Moodring is a Rollerball side project. They sound kind post-jazz (I got that word straight from their myspace). I like it. Pregnant is Daniel Trudeau (it feels weird to say it the other way around). He seems like a ridiculously talented guy. The music he makes sometimes reminds me of old Yacht (y'know when he was all glitched out) and his artwork is amazing. Cruiser is a two piece that play trance inducing hyperactive instrumental math pop music.


So if you see me at any of these shows, please say "Hi". Cause I told you to?

-Ben


Cruiser is the second band that plays (skip to 3:37). They are also playing tonight at Ella St.

No comments: