Sunday, November 22, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, Novmber 22nd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I ended up doing two performances. The first doing some backing vocals for Sean Flinn at Press Club. Who I totally did not even mention though I listed the show (I drop the ball sometimes). The other was a house show as Y La Bamba that I was told I could not write about for fear of too many people showing up. We played with a band Jen Moon who had assembled a band that includes members of the current Oh Captain My Captain lineup. But the best, in my opinion, was a band called Strange Holiday. I predict very good things for this band. They were so good and apparently this was their first show ever. They are lead by Alison Ables. They have a sound that is at times like oldies and but completely drenched in reverb. Other times it reminded me Broadcast or something. Anyway, I am in love with the band. They will be releasing an EP in the coming months so keep your ear open for that. Anyway here are some shows that look good to me:

Sunday, November 22nd

Rontoms is having a show with Rabbits, The Ax, and Fist Fite. Rabbits are a heavy rock band that consists of two guitars drums and some vocals that sound make my throat hurt just listening to it. I have seen The Ax a few times and I think they are rad. It is a two piece rawk band that totally rips. I recommend this band to anyone who like rock music with sick guitar tones and cool riffs. I have seen Fist Fite a couple times as well and thought they were pretty fun to see. They are a dark wave band that is actually a rock band. Just listen to them and you will see what I mean. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Them Hills (Nevada City) and Neal Morgan. Neal Morgan is a person that I have been trying to catch for sometime. He mostly plays the drums and sings. Often at the same time. Often incorporating looping of those vocals. I have seen videos of him and been very impressed. His latest release is appropriately titled "Drums and Voice". Them Hills is a really good indie rock band that I had previously never heard of. They sound good and in a way that is familiar yet hard to actually describe. Click their link! That's what it is there for. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows, please say "Hi". Cause then we won't be strangers.
-Ben


Fist Fite plays Rontoms tonight for FREE.

No comments: