Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, November 3rd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night AristeiA practice got cancelled because our drummer could not make it. I don't know what to do with my free time, so the remaining members got together at our practice space and played music. It was eerily like a practice but less loud. Anyway, after that I was too pooped to go to Valentine's knowing that I would get very little sleep before work this morning. I guess what I am trying to say is that I punked out as far a show attending. We are entering a very bad time of year for show going. It gets so dark and so cold so very fast lately. Our beds are sirens calling us to crash into its warm sheets and blankets never to leave them again. We must stay strong though. Go to shows I say to you (and to a greater extent, myself). Here are some that look really good to me.

Tuesday, November 3rd

Berbati's Pan is having a show with St. Frankie Lee, Hallelujah the Hills (Boston), and Love Trucker (Vancouver, WA). It is actually a little more than just a show. It is actually a celebration of the release of their new album, Let's Get it On (insert Marvin Gaye reference here). I have not heard it yet. But I am a fan of their really fun live shows. They have a sizable amount of people when that are are on stage. There are at times, a lot going on. But central to the whole of the group is the songs written by couple Derrick and Chelsea, banjo and guitar. They range from sweet to desperate to murderous and usually employee a back and forth play of the couples sweet and sour vocals. Things are generally uptempo and their stage banter highlights that these p are fun people. I will openly admit that before researching this show I had never heard of Hallelujah the Hills. I will also openly admit that I really like what I heard. They are a pop band who do their music big. They are a six piece, but they sound much larger. Mostly due to the fact that many members play more than one instrument and it looks like at least half of them sing. Love Trucker is another band unknown to me. Like most bands out of Vancouver, WA they look to be very young. I am a bit confused though. They list having two members, but all their photos have four people in them. Drama? Anyway they sound like they want to be a classic rock band. The guys vocals remind me of the dude from Space Hog (compliment). The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having Uprising. i.e. Horse Feathers plays for The Dancers of Oregon Ballet Theatre. This looks like a very high class kinda show. Let's face facts. The Ballet is classy. But I was talking to Katherine O'Dell, cellist/vocalist for Horse Feathers and she told me that this is not the first time Horse Feathers has played while ballerinas danced. Apparently some blog did a very similar thing this Summer with Horse Feathers. She said that it worked out very nicely. I could not find the video though. Oh and if I have not mentioned, I think that their music is very very beautiful. But if you cannot catch the performance tonight, they will be doing it two more nights this week (Wednesday and Thursday). The show is $15 and starts at 8 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Housefire and Water & Bodies. I am writing about this show because I believe that Housefire shows a lot of potential. According to the music they have up on their myspace page they sound like a post-Kid A Radiohead-esque band. But in a good way. The music is pretty chill and has some beats and yes, the guy sings in a high voice. But mostly when I hear it I think about how cool and chill it sounds. I am sure good things will come from this group. The show is $2 and starts at 9 PM.

LaurelThirst is having a show with Kelly Blair Bauman, Al James (of Dolorean), and Mike Coykendall. This appears to be a very good lineup of Americana Pop. I know that I have been listing shows with Kelly for awhile and I still have yet to see him. I do like what I have heard. The same goes for Al James. Though I have seen Dolorean and liked very much. I have never seen Mike Coykendall but I have heard nothing but good things. My suggestion to you, is that if I did not scare you off by throwing out the Americana tag, then you should click on the provided links and see if you like it for yourself. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

So if you see me at any of these shows, please say "Hi". I love a good greeting.

-Ben


I usually post live performances, but c'mon. Was I going to not post this?

No comments: