Monday, November 16, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, November 16th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I finally made it out to a show. I don't want pat myself on the back or anything, but yeah (pats self on the back). It was a tough decision, but I ended up choosing the show over at Rontoms. It was really good. I felt really bad for Rey Villalobos, the opening act. His songs sounded really nice, but were of a hushed nature and there fore people talked really loudly making it difficult to hear. Also I was surprised to find that Brian Wright of Carcrashlander and Graves was drumming for Rey. Good guy, great drummer. Then came Polka Dot Dot Dot, a band that I have been meaning to see live for probably a few years now. They sounded so good. So many beautiful three part harmonies, so many instrument changes. They were a three piece, but utilized guitar, harp, ukulele, banjo, and saw. But honestly that didn't even need instruments. They did a few accapella numbers that were awesome largely do due to the intricate claps, snaps, and stomps that they had arranged. And then there was Church who were absolutely great. They even played a few new songs tonight. I was talking to Christof, the synth guy of the band, before the played and he told me that they were looking to record again in March. I am stoked. So anyway I could only find one show that I am interested in seeing tonight (unless of course you count the Anti-Pop Consortium at Doug Fir). Here it is:

Monday, November 16th

Valentine's is having a show with The Old Light, Kelly Blair Bauman, and Hungry Ghost. I am still undecided on Old Light. I cannot find anything bad about it, but nothing really great jumps out about them. Maybe the live show will help me fall on one side of the fence that I currently find myself on. I do like Kelly Blair Bauman's music. It is in the Americana-pop vein of music that is admittedly saturating a lot of the "scene" here, but also admittedly that I love. The guy knows how to craft a song. Oh and Hungry Ghost is the new band from Unwound's drummer Sara Lund. Unwound was like one of the best bands ever. I am still very much impressed with the last album "Leaves Turn Inside You" and listen to it every couple of months and it still blows my mind. That being said this new band doesn't sound like Unwound. It sounds like a an Post-blues-rock band. I like it, especially the drumming and the cool start/stop rhythms. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

So if you see me at the show, please say, "Hi". Because I find greetings to be better than fair wells.

-Ben


Hungary Ghost (ex-Unwound) play tonight at Valentine's for FREE y'all!

No comments: