Thursday, November 12, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, Novemeber 12th

Hello Dear Readers,

Damn it. I was so close to going to show. I had every intention. But I had a band meeting and it lasted until 10:30 and then I had to take a sick band mate home so she could rest. By that time it was 11:00 and poor Ben was all tuckered out. Is it the thought that counts? I sure hope so. Anyways here are some shows that kinda interest me:

Thursday, November 12th

Ground Kontrol is having something billed as "Fun World". It is both a album release show for The Mean Jeans and a celebration of 10 years of Dirtnap Records. The show is free and will also feature the music of another band that just put out a record, White Fang, and then DJ Ken Dirtnap (aka Dirtnap's owner). Both Mean Jeans and White Fang play really fun pop-tinged punk music (actually Mean Jeans have a very Ramones sound). The Mean Jeans album is entitled "Are you Serious?". Which is exactly what I thought when I heard the name of White Fang's album that was released recently, "Whatever". Again the show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Holocene"target=_blank>Holocene is having a show with Arohan, Prizm, Soft Metals, and DJ Maxx Bass. Do you like to dance? Do you like to dance to electronic and or sythesized music? Do you like dancing in public? Do you like dancing with others in a public place? If you said yes to any of these, you might want to check out this show. It is all dace-tastic and pretty good (I am not really a fan of dumb dance music). I couldn't find a site with PRIZM's music, but their website said that they would have a handmade EP of theirs available at the show recorded by Skyler Norwood (He was mentioned in the Question of the Week comments as one of the better producers in town). The show is $5 and starts 8:30 PM.

Mississippi Pizza is having a show at Neptune Skyline, Boom and Little Czar & The Psalmist. I had never heard of Neptune Skyline before, but I really like it. It kind of reminds me of Galaxie 500. It kinda reminds me of folk. It kinda sounds awesome. Plus apparently this guy put out a vinyl record with the money going to a non-profit called The Empowerment Initiative which helps people with mental health problems. That is pretty cool. What caught my attention about the show is Little Czar and The Psalmist who I saw once and was very impressed. They have a really cool sound. It sounds not too far off from quiet restrained Elliott Smith. But of course way different. Jeez, I apologize for my inability to describe it. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows, please say "Hi".

-Ben


Mean Jeans play for FREE tonight at Ground Kontrol.

No comments: