Saturday, November 7, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, November 7th

Hello Dear Readers,

Yesterday was a busty day for me. I did not have anytime to list what shows I would have recommended. I went to work and then picked up Y La Bamaba and drove straight to a show where we opened up for Horse Feathers in Kennewick, WA. They were so good and actually debuted some of the songs off of the album they are currently working on recording. A hint of what is to come Horse Feathers wise...strumming. Where usually there is delicate picking, Justin Ringle has started to strum. It is a less soft but just as effective and welcome dynamic to their arsenal. Anyway these are the shows I wish I could have seen in Portland last night (excluding David Bazan because he is not local though I love him):

Friday, November 6th

The Someday Lounge is having the first night of the Siren Nation festival. It will feature, Grey Anne, Star Anna, Emily Wells, and Lovers. The show is $15 and starts at 8 PM.

The Artistery is having a show with Swim Swam Swum, Point Juncture, WA, and Deer and the Doe. The show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

And here are the shows happening tonight that I am interested in (and just to let you know, I will be brief in my descriptions today because I only had three hours of sleep and am finding it difficult to form thoughts let alone sentences):

Saturday, November 7th

The Someday Lounge is having the second night of The Siren Nation Festival. Tonight includes Tender Forever, Y La Bamba, Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside, and The I's. This Festival celebrates women in art and music and film and more artistic endeavors. I cannot say enough good things about Sallie and her band. I play in Y La Bamba and I think we are pretty good, if you like spirituality, three part harmonies, and folk-pop with a tinge of old timey Mexican flavors fused together. I have nothing but really good things about the French, but current Portlander, Tender Forever. I have never heard of The I's. The show is $15 and starts at 8 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Kelli Schaefer, Telegraph Canyon, and Leonard Mynx. Kelli Schaefer is amazing both as a vocalist and a songwriter. She is the real deal. Check her out. This is the CD release show for a ne CD of hers. Though I am unsure of the title. Telegraph Canyon is an amazing band from near where I grew up (they are from Ft. Worth, I am from Dallas). They got one of my childhood/adulthood heroes, Will Johnson of Centro-Matic, to produce their album (which I have been meaning to get). Leonard Mynx is a songwriting force. So much so that he is kinda hard to write about. I think he is good. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Laura Gibson, Musee Mecanique, and Rauelsson. I very much enjoy Both Laura Gibson's records and VERY much enjoy Musee Mecanique's records. They generally play together or at least share members. I have only seen Rauelsson once at Valentine's but I remember liking it. The show is $12 and starts at 9 PM.

The Blue Cranes is having a show at Art Bar & Bistro at PCPA. This is what Blue Cranes head honcho had to say about the show, "Blue Cranes will be performing this Saturday night from 8-11pm at the Portland Center for the Performing Arts. we will be pulling out several old songs from our past, as well as new material from our upcoming album. the wonderful Sam Howard will be joining us for this show on bass." If you have not seen this band live, I pity you. They are a great band that dwells where indie rock kids and jazz people collide. It is FREE and start at 8 PM.

If you see me at the show, please say "Hi". I will be the one singing on stage and sometimes playing a bass guitar.

-Ben


Check it out tonight. It will be fun. At Someday Lounge.

No comments: