Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks fo Wednesday, November 11th

Hello Dear Readers,

Did anyone see any shows last night? I didn't. Long practice. Whatevs. I am for sure going to a show tonight. But which one? Here are the ones that look good to me.

Wednesday, November 11th

The Wail is Fancie (Berlin, CA), Dash!, Adrian Orange, and Billygoat. This one looks really good. Fancie I think used to be from Portland. I know for a fact that she put out a record on Hush. She has a really good voice that she chooses to use over what I assume are home created beats. Dash! is incredible. He creates beautiful pieces of music by creating layers upon layers of violin run through various pedals and effects. Adrian Orange made a name for himself as Thanksgiving catching the ear and admiration of Mt. Eerie's Phil Elvrum. Since then he has gone through a few transformations. The last time I saw him he had a full band that was doing kind of a afro-beat type thing. I assume since it is listed as his own name, that he might be doing a solo set. I have no idea what to expect. I saw Billygoat at The Woods a little while ago and was blown away. They are new to town. They make instrumental music that is very good. They are a duo, but each play several instruments. Stringed, keys programed, electric, acoustic, synthesized, it doesn't matter. They play it all. Also the songs all flow together. It is very cinematic. Speaking of which, they also had made animations for all the songs that fit the music perfectly. Very impressive. The ALL AGES show is by donation and starts at 7 PM.

Berbati's is having a show with Mattress and Don Hellions. Matress's Rex kinda croon and plays guitar over 8-bit beats that he plays on a tape player and a drummer. Does that sound appealing? Does that entice you at all. Well it sounds interesting to me. He is playing every Wednesday this month at Berbati's Restaurant. Don Hellions is great. I have seen them a few times and always walked away impressed. They have a cool line up of An organ, sax, and drums. The guy puts a perfect amount of delay on his voice and just kills it every time. It is high energy and reminds me of what that band Hot Hot Heat would sound like if they were a lot better. The show is FREE and starts at 10 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Mike Coykendall Band, The Parson Red Heads, Cabinessence, and The Old Light. Mike Coykendall is someone who I have never actually seen play his music. I am pretty sure I saw him play in M. Ward's band at one point. His music ranges from Folk-rock to some some weird spacey stuff. It's all good though. Cabinessense play awesome psychedelic country music. I really like it. It reminds me of Beachwood Sparks (a band I miss badly). I am not sure how I feel about Old Light. I really don't. The show is $10 and starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows, please say "Hi". You'd be cooler if you did.

-Ben

DASH! live at the WAIL from Jordan Dykstra on Vimeo.


This will be what it is like tonight when Dash! plays the Wail

No comments: