Thursday, November 19, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, November 19th

Hello Dear Readers,

What up? You see any shows last night. Let me know. Comment. I missed shows because I had to drop my friend off at the airport this morning. So I was responsible and didn't go to any shows. Plus I have very little money. Luckily there are some cheap shows. All the shows I am listing today are less than $10.

Thursday, November 19th

East End is having a show with Lovvers (UK), Nice Boys, Meercaz (Cobraland, OR), and Orca Team. Post-punk international style. The Lovvers are apparently from various areas of the UK. They make pretty catchy music that has both a old school punk feel and a very good pop sensibility. The Nice Boys make psychedelic rock music music reminiscent of the 60's. Or at least reminiscent of the rock from the 90's that were reminiscent of the 60's. Meercaz seems kinda all over the place. They list themselves as Glam, Rock, and Punk. I could see all of these fitting. I really like what I heard on their myspace page. Especially this song called "Moving Up At The Speed of Sound". It sounds so cool. It has an early punk sound but also has a trippy solo thing the middle that is really awesome. And then their is Orca Team, who I really want to see. I have fallen in love with their song called "And She Knows". It has a oldies kinda feel but the same way it sounds like when Atlas Sound covers an oldie song. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Team Evil, ioa, and Quiet Countries. This is a great show and plus two of the bands are related. Team Evil and ioa both have several members of Point Juncture, WA. All three are great bands. I got to catch ioa play at Mississippi Studios last month and it was very impressive. I have never seen Team Evil. I have wanted to for a while. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Bombs Into You,Fast Computers, and Double Plus Good. This is the CD release show for Metaphorically Yours Volume Two. They are also doing the "Radiohead Thing" with it. Meaning you can download it for free or make a donation, here. Bombs Into You play electro-pop rock. Heavy on the synths but kinda in a Filter way before they got all soft. I didn't really know that Portland had electro-pop music. But I am hard pressed to come up with another way to describe them. I have a soft spot in my heart for electro-pop. Doubleplusgood makes homemade ghetto tech beats and then sings atop them..The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

The Know is having a show with My Dads and Pigeons. Last night I met a girl who seemed to have very good taste in music tell me that My Dad's were awesome. I remember writing about this band before and thinking they had potential. The girl I met said that she was not that impressed with their myspace but was blown away by their live show. Check it out if you like instrumental post-rock. Pigeons is a band of a few different songwriters that make rock music that has a very vaguely folk tinge to it. Both Justin Ready and Angie Kuzma, the lead singers, have a bit vibrato or quaver in their vocals that I kinda like. You should also check out Angie's other band Petoskey. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows, please say "Hi".

-Ben

Team Evil at the Doug Fir from IAVIDEO on Vimeo.


Team Evil will prevail at The Woods tonight. Yay!

No comments: