Friday, January 1, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Friday, January 1st

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I ended up going to the Doug Fir and caught Inside Voices, The Shaky Hands, and The Quasi or rather the Quasi playing The Who. I was very glad that I got to see Inside Voices. They truly are a great band. Both the guitar player and drummer seem to be virtuosos at their gift with the bassist keeping things gelled together. And also the harmonies between guitarist and bassist are perfect. They create a groove that is undeniable. The Shaky Hands is a band that is always so fun to see. I danced like crazy. These ar

Friday, January 1st

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Wow & Flutter, Swim Swam Swum, and Quiet Countries. Wow and Flutter is a band that has been around forever but I have never gotten into. And by that I mean I have never really listen to them. They seem like one of those post-punk bands. They are guitar heavy make a lot of cool lines through out a song. Kinda angular. Swim Swam Sum is very good band. They make Indie Rock music like it was 1999. But they also throw in enough time signature changes and subtle rhythm changes to keep it really interesting. Quiet Countries is the odd man out on this bill. While it is true he plays guitar, often in a succession o f loops with beats, I would hardly call it rock music. The majority of the songs on his myspace page are pretty cool Prefuse 73 influenced hip hop music. It will be cool to see how he pulls it off live. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at this show please say, "Hi". It's a new year make this one of your resolutions. It's an easy enough one.

-Ben


There are not a lot of footage of these guys, and in fact this is no longer the line up. But I assure you they are good.

No comments: