Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wedneday, January 6th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night was fun. I went to the Woods and had me a good time. Secrets Code was was very impressive and a had a very good first show. Then I finally got to see Themes. They were better live than any of their recordings. They are moody as all get out. In a good way. Then Mia Riddle played. It was way different with the band. They do a lot of dynamics. Amy Merrill was even able to play a couple on the house piano that they keep on stage. Over all a good night. Even Goldie was in attendance. Anyway here are the shows that look good to me:

Wednesday, January 6th

Backspace is having a show with Casiotone for the Painfully Alone, Key Losers, and Tragos Amargos. I love me some Casiotone. I think his songs are great little nuggets of narrative in short catchy tunes. He is a one man band guy who employees a few casitones and effects an mixers and a whole mess of cables. Tragos Amargos is a new project started by Y La Bamba's Luz Elena Mendoza and her drum instructor Paul Cameron. They have been writing and playing music everyday for over a month. It is really good stuff. Their song Hughson Boys gets stuck in my head all of the time. I love it. The ALL AGES show is $7 and starts 8:30 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with John Heart Jackie,The J Miners, and Steve Hefter. John Heart Jackie is a promising folk duo that I have only seen once. It was at the restaurant side of Berbati's which has less than desirable sound quality. I think they would sound better in a smaller room like Ella Street. I could not find much info on The J Miners, but they have been on a THWBRO mix and those guys are pretty good taste makers (I am pretty sure that. Steve Hefter is also The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

J And L Block is having a show with Hornet Leg, Orca Team, The Girl with Viloent Arms (Santa Rosa, CA), and Total Bros. Hornet Leg one of those bands that plays that punk garage soul mix that is really fun to see. Orca Team is the reason I writing about this show. I have been wanting to see their take on surf post-punk since I heard their song "And She Knows". The Girl with Violent Arms is a band with loads of s lo-fi synth action. Total Bros is an experimental punk band. their music is crazy. The ALL AGES show is by donation and starts at 8 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Team Evil, Cataldo (Seattle), Patterns. Team Evil is a band that I keep missing despite my best efforts. I want to see them. Their recordings kinda remind me of some of the lighter Promise Ring stuff. Cataldo sounds really really good. It is part folk and part big pop sound. That's probably why Laura Veirs snatched up it s members for herself. And then their is the really sweet pop of Patterns. The show $6 and starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at these shows please say, "Hi". I am the bearded dude rocking out.

-Ben


Team Evil brings it to the Mississippi Studios

No comments: