Monday, January 11, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, January 11th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I had a pretty late Y La Bamba practice. I am super excited about a new song that we have fleshed out. Anyway I got out at 11 and decided it best to stay in since I had to get to work this morning early. Any who, I only found one show I am inters ted in for tonight. Here it is:

Monday, January 11th

Mississippi Studios is having Mississippi Man (LA), The Silent Comedy (CA), St. Frankie Lee, and The Head and The Heart (Seattle) play a show. Mississippi Man at Mississippi Studios, eh? I am not sure how the booking works at the studios, but this seems a little too convenient. Regardless, Mississippi Man sounds like sunny pop music with a lead singer that reminds me of the lead singer of Dr.Dog (I want to be clear that I don't think this band sounds like Dr. Dog, because they don't). Then there is The Silent Comedy who appear to be playing every show that Mississippi Man is playing (my sources tell me they are on tour together). They are a folk rock band in the truest form possible. Yes they have mandolin, banjo, violin and harmonica, but hey still know how to rock. St. Frankie Lee, to whom this show listing is for, are a live favorite of mine. The group, currently consisting of seven members, sprawls across the stage and just seem to break the dam that holds their music from the audience. They are based around the songwriting of, possibly the cutest couple in Portland, Derrick and Chelsea. He plays banjo, she plays guitar. He sings sweetly, his voice is on par with Calvin Johnson. The combination with the lively band's energy works really well. Plus they often try to educate their patrons with different themes and facts at every show. The show is $7 and music starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at this show please say, "Hi". I will buy you a glass of water.

-Ben

No Children (live) from St. Frankie Lee on Vimeo.
St. Frankie Lee will take stage tonight at the Mississippi Studios.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Coming live to you from the great country of Qatar.....

just thought I would share a nice bit of reissue I thought you might enjoy. Take care man.

http://www.fensepost.com/main/2010/01/11/aristeia-you-give-me-strength-you-give-me-patience-album-review/