Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ben Meyercord Live Music Picks for Tuesday, January 12th

Hello Dear Readers,

Oh my lord. Last night I stayed up waaaaay too late. I didn't even do anything. I was going to have a Meyercord practice but I got stood up. Then I got to doing nothing and got really lazy and then eventually just watched movies online via Netflix. I really need to fix my bike so that I can start going to shows more often. Speaking of shows there are a few tonight that I think really good:


Tuesday, January 12th


Valentine's is having a show with Root Beer & French Fry and Rob Walmart. This looks like an awesome show. Especially since I was kicking myself last time I missed Root Beer & French Fry (not that I have ever seen them). But I have heard nothing but very complimentary thing s regarding their shows, and I love the music they have posted on their myspace. If you like upbeat slightly video gamey instrumental pop music, then you are in for a treat if you come out to this show. Rob Walmart is always enjoyable. They mostly play out of their converted ice cream truck (I think it was an ice cream truck) venue on wheels they have dubbed "the cube". They make experimental noisy beats with what appears to be stream of consciousness lyrics or spoken word on top. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.


The Woods is having Portland Round with Leviethan, His Name Shall Breathe and Michael Griffith. I haven't seen Levieathan in a long time. I recall seeing him open for someone in the pre-renovation Mississippi Studios. I have since listened to him online a few times. He knows what he is doing. The main reason I write this post however is because of His Name Shall Breathe and his gorgeous Music. It is mostly centered around Tim Martin and his longing voice and arpeggiated guitar lines. It kinda reminds me of the early Owen stuff that Mike Kinsella did. I absolutely love it. Shows that feature musicians in the round can be questionable, but when the musicians are really good. It doesn't matter all that much. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.


Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Rollerball and Mangled Bohemians. Rollerball play art rock that is difficult to pin down. Suffice to say that they are really good. They manage to mix a bit of jazz into indie rock without sounding like Tortoise. Mangled Bohemians seem to make pretty ambient music. Which is to say that it is very ambient and very pretty (to me anyways). The show is $2 and starts at 9 PM.


Bar of The Gods will be having Westfold will be playing an acoustic show. This show strikes me as an oddity. I have never heard of the Bar of The Gods. Nor have I heard of them having shows there. Also Westfold is a rock band that has grown from doing acoustic shows four years ago into using amps and effects pedals and hard hitting drummers. My first reaction to this is that it would be a step backward. My second and current reaction is this might sound really cool. Plus I am very curious as to how they will pull it off. Rest assured this is not your typical guy and an acoustic guitar singing about a girl. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.
distortion


If you see me at these shows please say, "Hi".


-Ben



ROB WALMART IN DENVER from Marriage Records on Vimeo

Rob Walmart doing what they do. They will do it tonight at Valentine's

2 comments:

dharmabeatdown said...

Hey, my dear friend and soon-to-be bandmate Sarah Randall will be playing tonight at Bar of the Gods as well. She has an amazing voice, and will be doing some of her own stuff plus some fun and dirty covers. It's her first gig ever!

dharmabeatdown said...

Oh, and she starts at 6 so I guess is opening for Westfold.