Friday, January 29, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Friday, January 29th

Hello Dear Readers,

Yesterday I had another pretty full day. It started at 6:30 in the morning getting the AristeiA band van fixed. Then I hung around downtown until it was fixed; about 2:30 in the afternoon. Then I did chores around the house, and then an AristeiA practice from 4 to 8:30. By this time, I was kind starting to feel spent. I was going to Ducketts to see Bodhi but then I found out that Erin, the drummer from Bodhi was sick and had to cancel their show. By that time is was 9 so, I gave up. No shows for me last night. Too much information probably. Oh Well. Here are the shows that look interesting to me today:

Friday, January 29th

The Woods is having a show with Oh Captain My Captain, Tango Alpha Tango, and The Very Foundation. Oh Captain My Captain is one of my favorite bands. I always said they remind me of Dr. Dog meets Pedro The Lion. I stand behind the statement. I think they are great. You probably will too. Tango Alpha Tango is a band that I have seen a few times but still don't have a good feel for. Um...they are a rock band? The Very Foundation is a pop rock band. Their album features members of The Decemberists and Blind Pilot, but they do not sound like either. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

The Waypost is having a show with The Magic Worm, Larry Yes, and Cuspidor. The Magic Worm is comprised of Ivy Ross and Joel Ricci aka Lucky Brown who play a pocket trumpet and guitar. I found this description of them on the Portland Sentinel Don't Miss List, "Ivy Ross and Joel Ricci aka Lucky Brown spin a musical yarn that is presented to the audience from the perspective of a rainworm who lives and works dutifully at the bottom of the compost heap. These two tell a hopeful tale of the holy worm — a symbol of humility, lowliness, and evidence that the highest is sometimes found in the most mundane. Larry Yes is a guy whose name I have seen around for a while. His music is peculiar variation of folk. Cuspidor is The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

If you see someone who looks like me at one of these shows please say, "Hi".

-Ben


Ladies and Gentlemen...Larry Yes. Tonight at The Waypost.

No comments: