Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, January 10th

Hello Dear Readers,

Lat Night I went to the Hosannas show at Slabtown. Archeology opened the show. I saw a lot of potential. Apparently their drummer had gotten a cold which spread to the the other singers who claimed they usually have better voices. I will take that into consideration. Also the bass seemed to low in the mix and it appeared that they were doing some sort of midi control with their feet which did not translate into an audible sound (I couldn't hear it at least). SO I would like to see them again in a place with a little bit better sound. They did a lot of group (all three singing) and harmonies. The two members that were not the drummer switched between guitar and bass quite liberally. Also they took turns on lead vocals. One of the guys played saxophone on a song. I would also like to take the opportunity to say I was mistaken in that there were three members instead of a duo. Then Rainy States took stage. They were very tight. The bassist was having a lot of fun and dancing around while they played which contrasted with the rest of the band which was...tight. They seemed very well rehearsed but ended up having to cut their set short due to a malfunctioning bass. Wampire surprised me tonight by playing with a drummer; something I have never them do before. The drummer, Cyrus Lampton plays in a ton of bands and is ridiculously skilled. He takes Wampire to the next level. All of the bands kept trying to get name of the headliners correct. Was it Church? No it was Ape Cave. Wait didn't they change their name again? Yes they did. When they took the stage, they announced that were called Hosannas. They played a great set that included one that I had never heard before. I think they are going to be recording later year and I can't wait. Anyway, there are a lot of good shows tonight. See:

Sunday, January 10th

Valentine's is having a show with Heather Woods Broderick and Dragging an Ox Through Water. Heather is very good. I love the tone of her voice. She plays many instruments very well. I think she focuses on guitar and piano in this gentle folk-ish project. But she plays many bowed instruments as well. She is about to move off the Denmark to be with Efterklang, just like her big brother Peter Broderick. Dragging An Ox Through Water is experimental folk in the truest sense. He explores the process of inserting noise burst created by homemade oscillators and other pedals. I really think it sounds cool. One of the most original sounds I have heard. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Karl Blau (Anacortes), David Hooker, Cole Miller, and David Jaberi (Eureka). David Hooker plays folk music as A John Henry Memorial. Karl Blau plays Anacortes indie pop which is really good. I am mostly writing about this show because I have been told by a good friend of mine that David Hooker is not to be missed. He rarely plays under this moniker ( he also fronts the noisy rock band ...Worms)if he ever plays at all. Which is to say that this show will be special. The ALL AGES show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Leigh Marble and Mbilly. This is a double bill of Portland Americana. Something that this town is quite good at. I have often listed Leigh Marble before. I have never seen him play. I have however seen Mbilly play. It was good he split his set between a more rocking or at least a full band section and a quieter more acoustic section. I think he is equally good at both. Both of these guys generally are good at rounding up a band of some of the quality players here in Portland. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at these shows please say, "Hi". I am the bearded dude hogging the water jug.

-Ben


Heather Woods Broderick will be playing wothout her brother tonight at Valentine's. Don't miss it.

No comments: