Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, January 31st

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I didn't see any shows in Portland. Instead, I played a show in Seattle in Tragos Amargos with Loch Lomond and Hey Marseilles sharing the bill. The show was sold out, which is crazy. We played first. I think it went all right. Then Loch Lomond played a great set. I had never seen Hey Marseilles they were pretty cool. Epic folk music. I was impressed. I wanted to see, them when they played at The Woods last week but I couldn't. Now I kinda regret it. Oh well. Anyways Here are the shows that look good tonight. There are a lot of them. See:

Sunday, January 31st

Rontoms is having a 100th show Anniversary with Nick Jaina, Dirty Mittens, Hosannas, Jared Mees & The Grown Children, Typhoon, The Skinnyz, Monarques, AgesandAges, and Tango Alpha Tango. If your read this blog at all you will recognize most of these bands as being some of my favorites. THis show is amzing. And FREE? Nutz. Like I said, the show is FREE. The thing starts at 5 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show NOMO and BRAINSTORM. Both of these bands spell their names in all caps. Both are cool and interesting in their own ways of combing various genres and styles of music. NOMO is from Michagian originally but now some of it smembers are in Chicago. BRAINSTORM is form here. I have been meaning to check them out for a while. I would try to describe them, but I only got two hours of sleep and cannot form sentences. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Aaron Godwater, Davis Hooker, Dash!,
Ozarks, and Cole Miller. I played a show with Aaron Godwater on Wednesday. I thought he was very good. He is a singer-songwriter type with a very strong voice. I have heard that tonight he will get friends from Shelby Sifers band to back him up. That should be cool. Plus the spaced out and beautiful looping of Jordan Dyksta's violin compositions are something to behold. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.


If you see someone who looks like me at one of these shows please say, "Hi". It is probably me

-Ben


If you want to see more of Typhoon head over to Rontoms this evening

No comments: