Monday, January 25, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, January 25th

Hello Dear Readers,
Last night I was supposed to have a practice. But it got canceled. I was like, "Great! I can go see a show." But then I couldn't decide what show to go to. Then I got a text from my friend Eric and he was like, "come over and get some free dinner and dessert, while we read from dead poet Robert Burns". And I was like, "Free dinner and dessert? I am all over that. Who is Robert Burns?". It turns out he is the most famous Scottish poet ever. I also used it as an excuse to not have make a decision about what show to see. Oh and if you are reading this to see what shows I think you should checkout read on:

Monday, January 25th

The Woods is having a "All Souls Rising Haiti Benefit" is having a show with The Builders & The Butchers, Tu Fawning, and Nick Jaina There are a lot of Haiti Benefit shows happening and you know what? Not a bad thing. They probably need the help. Musicians are in an interesting position. They care a lot and want to help, but are also very poor. Now I realize that is a generalization, but it is true. SO what can a musician do? Donate their time and music playing in order to get you to donate money for them. And if if is a good show like this, everyone wins. I played twice last week with The Builders and The Butchers. They drive crowds wild. I have grown very close to the Tu Fawning EP that was released a while back. Apparently they have a new album out that is even better. I have not heard it yet, but I look forward to it. I think this is day three in a row for Nick Jaina to be playing in Portland. For God's sake, he obviously wants you to see him. This time he will most likely have a full band which is where I like him the best.He songs are good enough to stand on their own, but really delivery with the help of his friends. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with The Threads of Grass, Jennie Wayne, and What Hearts. What folktastic show. I have never seen any of these bands. I have written about The Threads of grass and Jennie Wayne before but not What Hearts. The Threads of grass is a folk rock band that seems to have a million people in the band. I only recognize Dan Galucki's name from the long list of band members. As far as I can remember, Dan Galuki drums exclusively for good bands. They have a large folk rock sound. It is always fun to see how many band members you can fit into the space stage space the Valentine's provides. Jennie Wayne plays either solo or with a cello (oh, how I hope she is playing with a cello). Her songs and voice are very pretty. If you don't believe me check out the video I included at the bottom of the post. What hearts plays very pleasant upon first listening (which is all I had time for) folk pop. It is fronted by two sisters and backed by a female drummer, who looks like she sings as well (that is if their myspace pictures are not too misleading). The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.
If you see someone who looks like me at one of these shows please say, "Hi". Seriously. It would make my night.

-Ben



This is Jennie Wayne she is playing for FREE at Valentine's

No comments: