Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, January 23rd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last Night I had to have a late night AristeiA meeting, which is a lot more innocent than it sounds. That meant that I was unable to see any shows. I instead went to Fire On The Mountain and had some "Portland Wings" (veggie wings) and tried my first deep fried Oreo and my first deep fried Twinkie. Needless to say after this I was in no state to do anything. Tonight there are a ridiculous amount of good shows. I am kinda in a time crunch right now so let me just assure you that all of these shows are exceptional. There are other shows that I am interested in but for lack of time, I just listed the very best in hopes you check the links and go see a show tonight.ay,

Saturday, January 23rd

Holocene is having a show with Akron/Family, Au, and Wow & Flutter. I loved Akron/ Family's Love album. Au is a duo that sounds way bigger than a duo and make artful pop music. Wow & Flutter make art-rock? The show is ALL AGES and FREE. It starts at 6:30 PM.

The Artistery is having a show with Castenets, Ghost to Falco, Ohioan, and Dragging an Ox Through Water. This is a label launch for Infinite Front the new home to Ghost To Falco and Dragging an Ox. Both make dark experimental folk music. The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

The Waypost is having a show with Nick Jaina, Kaylee Cole (Spokane), and Shenandoah Davis (Seattle). Three singer songwriters. My guess is that the house piano will be played a lot tonight. I know that these particular ladies mostly perform with the piano. Nick is no stranger to the instrument either. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

The Press Club is having a show with Y La Bamba. Lately when we perform as the the only act on the bill, the other two acts contained in Y La Bamba, Sean Flinn and the Royal We and Tragos Amargos, make appearances as well. Just warning you. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

The Woods is having a show with AgesandAges. Jared Mees and Co. are the most positive and fun bands to see live. AgesandAges I have only seen once, but I enjoyed. Many Vocals to be heard in that group. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

Laurelthirst is having a show with The Sarcastic Dharma Society, Super XX Man, and Alameda. The Sarcastic Dharma Society probably write my favorite songs in Portland. I love that band. Super XX Man is an old favorite of mine. He beat me to Portland by a year or so (though I did not know him there, we are both used to live in Texas). Alameda is the new group formed from the ashes of Strangers Die Everyday. Rejoice. The show is $5 and starts at 9:30 PM.

If you see someone who looks like me at one of these shows please say, "Hi". Hopefully it is me (you did go to the Press Club, right?).

-Ben


Ghost To Falco plays at the Artistery tonight.

1 comment:

bumblebee said...

wow you just listed so many bands. my mind is blown :)