Friday, April 1, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Friday, April 1st

Hello Dear Readers Last night I worked at night which left me too tired and too late to go to any shows. I hope that you guys went though. Today I am getting off at a reasonable hour so I might feasibly be able to make it out. Anyways, here are the shows that look good to me tonight: Holocene is having show with Dom (Worcester Madrid, MA), Heavy Hawaii (San Diego), Jeffrey Jerusalem, DJ Copy, and New Dadz DJs. Dom is the perfect example of the lo-fi electronic verbed out fuzz pop that is created by the current post everything generation. It's roots may be far reaching but its sound is pretty unified in it's aesthetic. I think that I like their tour mates, Heavy Hawaii more. They are kind of verby and extremely catchy beach pop. Opening the show is the sometimes Inside Voices sometimes YACHT drummer all the time bad ass Jeffrey Jerusalem. He is a one man dance party. Yes, he uses a laptop. But he also sings and loops various live percussion too. It is not just watching a dude clicking some buttons. He interacts with the audience and makes sure that everyone is having a good time. The show is $10 and starts at 8:30 PM. Mississippi Studios is having show with And And And, The Woolen Men, and The Blast Majesty. And And And are a good band. They are a fun band. They are a band that decided to strap a basket ball hoop atop their van and challenge any other band to a game of b-ball. I am not so bad at horse if they are up for a game. Also it was pretty entertaining to see the write up that Ezra Ace Caraeff of the Mercury wrote, "Is it wrong that I want to grab And And And by their collective shoulders and shake them violently until they get their shit together? It is? Okay, sorry. Regardless, And And And very well might be Portland's finest upcoming band, but they are also this city's most frustrating act, one who has yet to properly live up to their unbridled potential. In lieu of delivering a (produced and properly edited) full-length follow-up to last year's wonderful, if lopsided, A Fresh Summer with And And And LP, the band has instead given us Life Ruiner, a conceptual cassette split with Woolen Men on the Apes Tapes label. Like anything from Andx3, the great moments of mumbling off-kilter indie rock (like Malkmus on a Robitussin bender) are spectacular, but there are plenty of expendable songs throughout the release. A new full-length, in a studio, with a producer—that is my request for the band. If not, some one's going to get a good shaking." He will be happy to know that Blitzen Trapper's Eric Early just did a recording session with "andX3". The Woolen Men are a energetic indie rock band that has put out two EP's both in the cassette tape medium. My tape player recently died. I am trying to decide if it is work getting a new used one or not. I know that plenty of bands put out tapes. But how long will that last? Should I hold out for the eight-track tape revival and get one of those? The Blast Majesty is band I am not too familiar with but seems to fit nicely on the bill. This sucker is FREE and starts at 9:30 PM. The Knife Shop is having a show with Pony Village, Paper Brain, and Tourist. I like indie rock. Do you like indie rock? or did you just want to hated on the "genre" and search crappy indie music in search a place to vent your hate. If so, sorry. But if you just wanted to know about some good Portland indie rock. Here is a really good example. I think that both Pony Village and Paper Brain are more pop oriented rock bands. I think the self Titled 12" was one of the more underrated Portland releases of 2010. I don't have anything by Paper Brain, but I have been impressed with what I have heard online. The show is $5 and starts at 10 PM. If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". Please. Jeffery Jerusalem will be in the house y'all. That is if you are at Holocene tonight.

No comments: