Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wednesday, April 13th

Hello Dear Readers,

I am writing to you from California, again. Remember how I said there were no shows in Sacramento. Well I stand by that. But yesterday I got a call from my drummer for Meyercord, Scott McPhearson. He said he was playing a show in Oakland that night and said he would put me on the list if I wanted. So last night I got to see Bright Eyes from side stage. I could not even believe it. I have been a huge Bright Eyes fan for over a decade. The same for my girlfriend. The band was great and they mixed in a lot of older material which was perfect. It was funny to see how different the show was from the first time I saw him. At first he played sitting in a chair on an acoustic almost falling out a lot and still flailing about, but he is a total rock star. He jumps onto of amps. He reaches out and touches people's hands. He lifts his guitar high in the air and at one point he totally smashed a really nice Gibson SG (this made me wince). But I really enjoyed the show. Seeing Scott play with all the lights and smoke and huge area theatrics was great. Anyways, here are the shows happening today in Portland:

Laurelthirst is having a show with Norman and Hungry Birds (Echo Park, CA). This is the second in the month long Norman residency of Laurelthirt's Wednesday happy hour. They are the only band I know who claim to be from The Willamette Valley. It is a large area to claim. If you are interested in modern country rock, check them out. Hungry Birds also could fill that description, but I feel they are less rock and more pop than Norman. That being said, their music is pretty lovely. The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Deep Dark Robot (LA), The Hugs, and Palo Verde. This is a strange Strange bill. Deep Dark Robot is the new vehicle for Linda Perry. For those of you who are not in the know, Linda fronted the band 4 Non Blondes in the 90's. She went on to become a very successful songwriter and producer for others including Pink. The Hugs on the other hand play youthful rock music. Palo Verde play mostly improvised instrumental sludge rock. This bill does not compute in my mind. But I do enjoy the Hugs. I think Palo Verde is just bad ass. The show is $15 and starts at 9 PM.
I am actually in Sacramento right now, so you shan't see me at any shows.

Ben


Palo Verde play at Mississippi Studios tonight.

No comments: