Monday, April 18, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, April 18th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I ended up working until 11 PM. I basically stood in one place for about 8 hours (sometimes my life is not that glamorous). By the time I was finished, the idea of standing any longer was not sitting well with me. Anyways, here are the shows happening today. Scratch that. I think that there is only one show I am interested in today(sorry :

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Maserati, We're From Japan!, and Vanimal. If you have ever read about Maserati before you have most likely seen either one or both tags associated with them: Krautrock or dance rock. Honestly, there is a reason for this. They a) those two are not that far apart b) Maserati brings them even closer together. You might even say that they make the two genres overlap. Anyway I jokingly said once that they sound like the music for a community college commercial. I stand by the statement with the addendum that the reason driving arpeggiated based music is often in community college commercials, is because it gets people pumped. Maserati will get you pumped! We're From Japan! is an interesting band. They are one of those bands that has always been there. They have amazing music, they have a Japanese label (duh!) and have done several tours but have seemed to mostly disappear. I know that they have had some shows, but they seem few and very far between. Their last album the Now Breathe came out back in 2008. It is an album that I listened so much that it is burned in my brain. Basically they are a instrumental post-rock band that make pieces of music that explore dynamics and beauty. Or I used to say, "pretty to pretty loud". They have gone through several drummers, but Martin Castillo is the one that I will always associate with the band. He was a great drummer and is sorely missed. That being said Vincent Covarrubias now drums with them. It is funny because he used to play in AristeiA the defunct post-rock band I used to play in. We used to go to WFJ! shows and be the only ones dancing. Vanimal is a band that makes music that has plenty of electronic music elements (lots of keyboards) and more traditional instruments (bass and drums). I guess people generally call this dance rock. To me it sounds like if Joy Division were less depressing and a bit funkier. I know that a less depressing Joy Division already exists, hello New Order. But seriously the guys voice reminds me of Ian Curtis' a bit. You can download some of their tracks on their Soundcloud page. May I suggest "Lift Me Up (New Mix)". The song has an awesome synth breakdown/build up at the 2.02 mark. I love it. Plus the song is pretty catchy. The show is $12 and starts at 9 PM.
If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". Yes?

Ben


Do you see that guy with the "11" rocking out? That's me. We're From Japan! play tonight at Mississippi Studios!

No comments: