Saturday, April 9, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, April 9th

Hello Dear Readers,

Yesterday was awesome. I swear that it felt summer. I filled my day completely and I totally thought I was going to make it out, but I was on a role getting the stuff I needed to get done actually done. Tonight I am going to a show. It's in Salem though. There is some sort of festival down there and Tender Loving Empire has a showcase with Typhoon, Y La Bamba, Jared Mees and The Grown Children, Brainstorm, and Monoplane. I am stoked. I almost went to The Typhoon, And And And, and Brainstorm show last night, but I knew I would see two of the bands tomorrow so…anyways, here are the shows happening tonight:

Fences and Greylag. Y La Bamba went on a baby tour with Fences a while back. I thought is was kinda weird. Not the music, but that Similarities between Chris Mansfield (Fences lead person) and Luzelena Mendoza (Y La Bamba lead person). Both are covered in tattoos and play mostly acoustic music that rides the line between folk and pop. I fond of their song "My Girl The Horse". After listen for a bit I realize who his voice reminds me of. He kinda sounds like Cory Gray (Carcrashlander). Greylag is a band I have discovered for myself over the last few months. They are pretty great. I have yet to see them live, but I have seen some live videos (see the bottom of this post). They have an album done but it is not out yet. You can stream some of the songs on their website, which I suggest you do. They have a driving folk sound and sometimes the singer jumps up into a Bon Iver-esque falsetto. The music sounds rich and filled with many subtle treats for the listener. These guys are gonna be huge (or at least they should be). The ALL AGES show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Doug Fir is having having a show with The Rural Alberta Advantage (Ontario), Lord Huron (LA), and aan. The Rural Advantage are a band I first heard of because they signed with Saddle Creek. Then I didn't really listen to them till they played a show sometime last year with a local band at Backspace last year ( I forget who). But I remember liking them instantly. They are have a good sound. I would say energetic indie rock fronted by a guy with a very Mac McCaughan voice with some really nice female backing vocals and a drummer that hold together the music more than most bands. Lord Huron is a band from LA who played not too long ago. They sound like if the Fleet Foxes went on a island vacation. The main reason I list the show, however, is aan. Good lord, that band is good. You have to check them out. I know is sounds cheesy, but they are special. Bud Wilson writes songs that sound uncomfortably honest and put them into the most dynamic songs imaginable. And his voice, you gotta hear his voice. ann is one of my favorite Portland bands for sure. The show is $12 and starts at 9 PM.

Mission Theater is having the NE Music Fest with Orca Team, Terraform, The Reservations, Besties, Rocky and The Proms, Magic Johnson, and Total Bros. That is a lot of bands. I have written about all of these bands before. They are all really good. But I would like to say that the must sees on the list are the pop perfect Orca Team and it's offshoot band Besties. Not to take away from Rocky & The Proms who remind me of throw back pop version of The Strokes. Kinda. For $3, this show is ridiculously awesome. Get familiar with your neighborhood bands. Or if you don't live in NE, get familiar with your neighbor's neighborhood bands. The ALL AGES show is a suggested $3 donation and starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows, you need to get your eyes checked. I am in Salem tonight.

Ben

Greylag — Tiger from The Sights Of Sounds on Vimeo.


Greylag will be playing Peter's room at Roseland.

No comments: