Saturday, April 16, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, April 16th

Hello Dear Readers,

It is Record Store Day! That means lots of cool limited records. It also means shows during the day that I can't see because I'm at stupid work! The Mercury did a good sot of what all is happening, but I will talk about what I want to see in more detail. Anyways, here are the shows happening today:

Everyday Music (W. Burnside) in addition to the limited records they got Hosannas at 1:30 PM, Sallie Ford at 4:00 PM, Nurses DJ set at 5:00 PM, and White Hinterland at 6:00 PM. Hosannas played last Sunday. Lately they play music that verges on the "chill wave" of music but with exceptional vocal lines and harmonies. Their last two releases have been EPs available for FREE on their website. I know that they are a very hard working band, and I would imagine that they have already started to plan the recording of the songs that make up their current set. I can't wait. Sallie Ford does a great job leading her throw back pop band. Her voice is the not so secret weapon. Her first full length album is due out next month. I am sure that it will take her and The Outside Sound to new places. I have beaver seen Nurses DJ. Will it be three DJ's ala The World Famous Beat Junkies? Or just one Nurse spinning records? Who knows. I think more people are interested in when they are going to put out another record. White Hinterland's Casey Dienel fuses her voice with a continual growing list of influences. It's like she uses genres like backdrops. They will have all the cool Record Day releases in addition to more stuff that I am less interested in. It's FREE!

Jackpot Records (downtown) is having Red Fang play at 2 PM. Jackpot is not a big place. Even when they move stuff out of the way, it fills up real quick. Keep that in my while I describe to you my imagined scenario. Jackpot fills up then as the clock strikes 2 PM, Red Fang hits their first notes the huge glass windows shatter due to the intensity of music and volume. Glass is everywhere. The crowd is covered in blood. The band does not stop. Murder the Mountains, their frost record on Relapse Records came out not even days ago. You should pick it up, yeah? This thing is FREE!

The Saratoga will have a show with Ports Will Call, Secret Codes, and The North Wind. I only am familiar with Secret Codes. This is the jazzy post-rock band fronted by David Kyle. I have seen several of their shows and have been impressed overtime. David Kyle is obsessive when it comes to his music. It shows. The other bands have listed as indie progressive. The show is at 8 PM.

Manhole Holman House is having a show with Archers, Lee Corey Oswald, Crush Hour, and Teague (members of and Blandina). I only am familiar with two of the bands. I tried to look up the other two to no avail. Archers are awesome. They will knock your socks off. They have an incredible energy live. Plus some really great songs. "Door to All Marvels" may be one of my favorite "jam" from last year.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi".

Ben


Red Fang play Jackpot records (downtown) at 2 PM!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I always look forward to your posts. You always know what's happening! Thanks for keeping us updated.

You should check out this band Town - I think you'd enjoy theire music
Town's YouTube