Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, April 5th

Hello Dear Readers,

I didn't go to the shows last night. It was actually really stupid. I was really planning on going out. I had to work super early in the morning so I was really tired by evening. Here was the plan. I take a nap. I get up refreshed and ready to head out to Valentine's. The problem? I didn't get wake up refreshed. I didn't wake up at all. Not until 10:30. Damn. Anyways, here are the shows happening tonight:

Holocene is having The Rumble: Hosannas, Hello Electric, and Vanaprasta (Silver Lake). The Rumble is a great thing. Every month they put together a tour of a band that I have good band that I have never heard of and put them with great local bands. I swear I think they read blog., because they always pick bands that I have written about. This month is no different. They have Hosannas headlining tonight. They are one of my favorite bands. I love seeing them evolve. They are the masters of what they do. Dynamics is the name of the game. I think is impressive because they now mostly play to drum machines. Plus they have really pretty voices and beautiful harmonies. I don't know if I have mentioned that before. Hello Electric is a very cool band. Their music ranges from dark and pretty to loud and cool. Pretty vague, right? Well it is hard to describe. The band that I am not familiar with this time is Vanaprasta. They seem to be a rhythm centric indie rock band. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

Ella Street is having a show with Like a Villain, Fort King (LA), Ruthann Friedman, and Purrbot. Like a Villain is Holland Andrews. Holland Andrews is very talented. She plays around town in a few bands including Meyercord (my band!) and The Ocean Floor both on softer/pretty side of things. Her solo stuff is loop based clarinet, vocal, and glock pieces. They are beautiful. Her voice is has enormous range and she hass arranged her songs in a expert manor. A must see. Fort King is a mostly acoustic lite pop outfit. Try to listen to listen to their song "To The Moon" and not be reminded of Elliott Smith. Impossible. I think Ruthann Freidman is folk singer who has been doing it for a long time. Think along the lines of 60s pretty folk. Purrbot is really intense. It is one guy, Nathan Carter. There is a quality to his voice that I really love. His songs are also really beautiful and usually played on piano or banjo. You can get his latest album, Warm Gold, "at a name your price" price here. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Bunk Bar is having a show with Wild Ones. Wild Ones is a great pop band featuring several ex-Eskimo & Sons alumni. It feels like listening to summer. In a place like Portland it is really nice to have bands that take you out of our cold gray environment and remind us that it is actually really green and full of life. Most of the songs are pretty bouncy and are centered around various keyboards. The wonderful Danielle Sullivan sings the songs in that very distinct voice. I love it. The show is FREE and starts at 10 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Ghost To Falco, Dead Bird Flower, and Virgin Blood. Ghost to Falco is a project that I have difficult describing, but I can tell you that it is pretty bad ass. Eric Crespo, the mastermind behind the project, can do no wrong. Or at least I have really liked any thing I have seen or heard of Ghost to Falco. It is for music people who skew to the more experimental side of indie music. Dead Bird's members reside in Seattle in Italy. That is pretty incredible. I find it hard to practice when most of my band lives across town. Their music is slow and kinda depressing sounding. In a good way. From what I have heard of Virgin Blood it is girl playing a heavily reverbed autoharp and singing pleading songs. I liked what I heard. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.
If you see me at any of these shows please say, "hi". That would be a kind thing to do.

Ben


Hosannas is playing Holocene tonight. They are awesome. The show is FREE. Awesome.

No comments: