Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, April 19th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I did not go out. I did get a great deal of things done. But this is not my diary (except that it kinda is). I wanted to go out but, I bought a bass guitar which meant that I was way over what I allow myself to spend in one day. Anyways, here are the shows that look good to me tonight:

Holocene is having a show with Hauschka (Duesseldorf, DE), Goodnight Billygoat, and DJ Committee Linger & Quiet and Philip Sherburne). Volker Bertelmann is Hauschka. The music he makes is piano based but highly experimental in the way he plays it. He also mixes quite a bit of techno and classical elements. There are no words, but the compositions are still very engaging. Speaking of engaging. Goodnight Billygoat (formerly Billygoat) put on a very engaging show. They too make instrumental music. But their music is specially for the animations the band has painstakingly made by hand. The animations are excellent. The music is cinematic in scope. They band switches between several instruments including keyboards, guitar, accordion, harp, drums, rain stick and probably more that I am forgetting. A must see. Plus they sell stills of the animation on the cheap. They make great artwork for the home. Linger and Quiet is a DJ team? The only thing I found of their music was a dance mix of lots of different stuff. The show is $10 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Orca Team, Ghost Mom, and Young Hunting (LA). Orca Team is good. Do you remember how I have written about them like a million times? I did that because I think they are great. If you appreciate pop music at all, you should give them a try. They have a bit of surf rock in the mix but I feel like are more than that. I have yet to see them but I think that you should. So should I. Ghost Mom is a band that also makes music that has a touch off surf rock. They are a bit more punk. Young Hunting is an LA on band touring from Vancouver B.C. back to their hometown of LA. It is hard to describe what they sound like. I just can't do it. It doesn't feel all that consistent to me. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Disjecta is having a show with 19, Wampire, and Miracles Club. This The show is actually an art opening for Oko Ebombo and "a selection of short movies filmed by Ebombo during his travels between Paris, Portland and Tokyo as well as his latest film, Never Dy, which was filmed in New York. In Never Dy, Ebombo presents a collection of recent videos that will be screened throughout the space.". Apparently Ebombo put together the musicians. I have yet to see Wampire as a full band. But if the clip I posted at the bottom of the page is an indicator, I see that they are still growing musically. They have always been heavy on the pop hooks. They make insanely catchy tunes. You can still get their debut on High Scores Records, though it is missing my favorite song of their "Magic Light". Miracles Club make music that is house music. I didn't realize people still made house music. They do though. It is the most danceable genre ever. The admission to the ALL AGES event is FREE though a $3 donation is suggested. The gallery opens at 6 PM. The performances starts at 7 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". Yes?

Ben


Wampire is finally a real band.

No comments: