Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, April 21st

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I played in Seattle as a part of Y . It was super fun. I got to stay at my brothers place. I will talk more about the other bands tomorrow when touring line up Anyways, here are the shows that look good to me tonight:

Mission Theater is having a show with Phosphorescent (Brooklyn), Family Band, and Prince's Family Band. I don't know where they are from but, But I know that it is darker sounding music with a female singer. I also know that I like it. The openers are what caught my attention. I first discovered them as a better than average folk duo made up by Jenny Wayne (who also plays around town under her own name) and Peter Murray. Since I last checked in with them, they have added a member in John Mogielnicki. As a trio they have done a little bit of tour supporting their very pretty album, We Are Gold Mounds including some shows with another one of my faves Blind Pilot. They are on the up and up. The show is $15 an starts at 8 PM.

Alberta Rose Theater is having a show with Kelli Schaefer, and Pine Language (Corvallis). Kelli Schaefer is someone who I have seen a few times and consistently be blown away by. Her voice and songs are both in alignment to to do that to just about anyone who sees her play. She has slowly but surely releasing singles on the Amigo/Amiga records. They were finally all put together to form her rather recent release, Ghost of the Beast. The Parson Red Heads are Portland's resident canyon country rock band. They do it right and they do it pretty regularly. You should check them out if you get a chance. I haven't really heard much of Pine Language. I know that I know I have seen the name around. But I just listened to them and I really like it. It seems like easy going pop music with some slower songs thrown in for good measure. I really like what I have heard of their song, "The Sun Keeps on Shining Everyday". I think that they are related to Norman somehow. It The show is $10 and starts at 8:30 PM.
If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". But you won't as will be in Olympia.

Ben


Check out this really beautiful/interesting video. I wish my high school was like this. Go see her play at Alberta Rose!

No comments: